
Armytage is made to be felted. Even the ends -- that had yet to be sewn in on the panels I was working with -- had already started to felt themselves, just from the normal wear and tear of moving and storing the project.
So yeah, the felted fabric is thick and strong (as I hope you can see in the following photo).

I am thinking I will be able to sew these panels together into a bag after they are felted, but I don't have any official plan as to how that's going to work. (My semi-official plan is, "I will make it work somehow.")
So I am about to felt the second panel. Since I didn't show you an intermediate photo for the first one, here is the second panel ready to be thrown in the washer for felting.

Some people will tell you that you can't felt using a front loader. And even those that say you can do it will tell you not to use the spin cycle. Well, I have my own methods and they work for me. They involve placing the piece to be felted inside a net bag (such as you would put panty hose in to wash them) and sending it through twice on the Speed Wash cycle. Works like a charm, and I can get a load of jeans done at the same time.
BUT keep in mind that I have come up with this method through experimentation with my own equipment. If you have never felted before, you are probably going to have to do your own experiments to come up with what works for you.
And in other news, I finally got my vacation yarn.

This yarn was mailed to me from Creative Yarns in Georgia. The owner forgot to mail it out the first time we communicated (renovations going on at the store, so things have been very chaotic for her), but responded with a sincere apology to a follow-up message I sent a month later.
No comments:
Post a Comment