Saturday, February 21, 2009

Stifling

Things never really disappear from the Internet. I should know that. So this post is back, because it reflects how I felt at the time. And besides, Saffity was grateful for it.

But it's in the past now, and we have moved on. There's a brand new Starbucks opening shortly, up the road from the one we currently occupy on Fridays. I think the plan is to check that one out when it opens.


***

The Starbucks Friday Knit & Chat has reached critical mass -- critical mass in the sense of "an amount or level needed for a specific result or new action to occur", but also, metaphorically, in the sense of "the smallest mass of a fissionable material that will sustain a nuclear chain reaction at a constant level".

Nuclear chain reaction.

Okay, so I have a lot of stress in my life right now. A lot of stuff going on. So it can be said that I am perhaps not in the right frame of mind to document a conflict right now. (That I even want to write about it at all probably means that I am not thinking this through in a level-headed way.)

So what am I talking about here? What is the "this" that I am not thinking through?

The Starbucks Friday Knit & Chat has pretty much reached the capacity that our current location can support if everyone continues to attend each week. (This time, we really were using a side table as a seat.) So someone made a generous offer to host the group at her home. No one disputes that the offer is very generous, but there are difficulties with it.

For some reason the group was not willing to have a healthy, open discussion about the matter.

This frustrates me to no end.

I want to know what people's opinions are, and I want to hear from everyone. And I want a chance to say my piece too.

But as soon as people started to talk about it, the talk fizzled. I can see that it would be difficult to discuss this while the person who made the offer was there. It's hard to bring up pros and cons when you are afraid of hurting the feelings of someone who has just made a very kind and generous offer. But even a later opportunity to discuss it without her there was shut down before it had a chance to get going.

Someone wanted the last word on the discussion, and that person got it, but (as much as I like and respect that person*) I think that's unfair to everyone else who may have wanted to speak, and also to those of us who wanted to hear what others had to say -- openly, not whispering in corners.

I don't like whispering in corners. That's not the way I operate.

That's for bullies and mean girls.

So, since I wasn't given the opportunity to speak to the group in person, I'm going to say my piece here.

For some reason I thought the debate had happened without me, so I "went along" with what I assumed was consensus until I learned that no discussion had actually taken place. So, what follows here is my contribution to that nonexistent discussion.

It's nothing personal against the knitter who offered her home to us, but I see problems with meeting at a private residence as opposed to a public location:

- Unfair burden on the host
- Homes have pets and some people have allergies
- Parking? (Not likely a problem, but worth considering)
- Attendees might not feel free to hang around longer if they want to
- Difficult for potential new members to just drop in and check us out
- Requires a private address to be posted in a public forum (this WORRIES me)

There are other intangibles that came up briefly when I managed to catch a few side conversations. For various reasons, some people really enjoy the "public" aspect of knitting at Starbucks. It allows interactions with the staff and other customers. Also, literally "getting out of the house" can be important to some people. It's not quite the same thing when you are just going to another house.

It's not all bad, though. There would be some advantages if the rest weren't so impractical:

- Lots of room
- Quiet
- No competition with other customers for seating
- Better goodies, since we are not limited to Starbucks fare

But still, the good stuff really doesn't outweigh the drawbacks, in my humble opinion. I don't want to be shunned, so I'll remove this post if anyone feels uncomfortable with it. I just need to have my say, and I didn't feel like I was given the opportunity yesterday when we were together as a group.

* It's very important to me that she, and everyone else, knows that.

6 comments:

cmeknit said...

7:02 am....OMG its 11:30 and I am still tired. Ok. Firstly, there is no offense in this post. Blogging is blogging.
Most importantly I knit to get ride of my stress...so getting together to knit should not be stressful. That being said everyone has their own issues they are dealing with...in their own way, so naturally these discussions can spark hidden emotions. All knitters in this group have different personalities...so I can see exactly why the conversation went, or didn't go, as it should have. Everyone agreed that the offer was extremely generous, by such a very kind person. Some speak to it right away, others need to think on it. Some feel comfortable checking with the person next to them...some are new to the group and really are uncomfortable getting invovled in the discussion. The fact of the matter is we all love to get together and knit...stress free.
You know my thoughts already.
Now that I blogged in your comments...I'll stop;)
I'll will continue to go to Starbucks to knit on available Fridays.

Anonymous said...

Excellent summary, Karen.

Lyz said...

Geesh I missed the whole thing! I found your blog post very interesting and informative. I appreciate your honesty. We all need to vent and express our opinions. It gives us all something to think about (and thinking is good, many of us don't do enough of it LOL)
thanks for the post, it says exactly what you need it to say and that's what blogs are for.

Jessie said...

Karen, I'm really glad you posted this because this is what I was trying to get a read on.

I'm not insulted at all and I really wanted to know what people really thought. Starbucks totally works, I just wish we could find a location that was slightly bigger (maybe the one at Chapters? Or William's on Hespler Rd.)

I'm sorry that because of this you were put in such an uncomfortable situation and I really wish that people would have spoken up more about it. My feelings wouldn't have been hurt at all if the consensus was to not have it there (though Chris was looking forward to having the house clean every weekend).

Next Friday I say we meet up at Starbucks and discuss a different public location, I was also really worried about cmeknit with the cat and wasn't sure how that would work.

Anyway I'm just blathering on here, but I wanted you to know that I really appreciate you posting this and letting me know how you really feel about the situation.

Anonymous said...

I do hope that your group can figure this out. Whispering in corners is why I left the knitting group that I was part of. Different situation than yours, of course. One night a new lady joined us and more than half of the group snubbed her, not even knowing her.

It's so hard when you have a large group, I know. But I'm sure it will work out. *hugs*

Philosophical Karen said...

Well, my interpretation is not necessarily the last word, either. Sometimes "whispering in corners" is just a signal that people need more time to absorb the situation, and isn't necessarily malicious.

I tend to process things quickly, and it's easy for me to forget that not everyone does.