Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Warm Ewe Up Winter Swap Questionnaire

...We interrupt the regular programming of this blog (in which I share my knitting trials, triumphs, and tribulations) in order to take care of a little swap business...

Oh! here is a lovely photo of some Cascade 220 from my stash to distract those among you who are not interested in reading the questionnaire:

IMGP0817.jpg



THE QUESTIONNAIRE

Do you knit or crochet, or both? How long have you been at the craft?
I knit, and I’ve been knitting for a little over a year now.


Do you spin?
Not officially. I have signed up for a class in January to learn how to use a drop spindle.


What yarns/fibers are your favorites?
I love 100% wool, especially single-ply -- and self-striping is a bonus. I also like wool-silk blends.

As far as specific yarns, some of my favorites are: Noro Cash Iroha; Noro Kureyon; Lana Grossa Ciao; Twilleys Freedom Spirit


What yarns/fibers do you not like?
I do not personally like anything lighter than DK weight (I'm not yet a sock knitter -- one day I will knit socks, but they will probably be nice thick ones); and for me 100% acrylic worsted weight yarns that are meant to look (but don't feel) like wool have no purpose, since I don't knit blankets, or for children or charity.


What yarns/fibers would you like to try but haven’t?
Noro Silk Garden; Artyarns Beaded Silk; Malabrigo Silky Merino; Guttersnipe yarn (an Etsy seller)


What are your favorite colors? Colors that you don’t like?
I seem to love all types of purple and green, and I am always drawn to pinks and reds. Favourite colour combinations: chocolate brown with lavender; eggplant purple and apple green; sage (or moss) green and raspberry pink; charcoal gray with dark colours.

I’m not a fan of baby pastels, any yellow, bright white (off-white is fine), or electric blue (muted blues are fine).


What are your favorite types of projects to knit/crochet?
Hats and scarves.


What are you currently working on?
At the moment, fair isle hats and quick scarves. I've been doing some work with stripes, trying to master jogless stripes in the round and slip stitch edging on a scarf (neither with much proficiency).


What is your favorite FO? (Please post a picture if you have one.)
My favourite FO to wear is the Odessa hat:

The Finished Hat

My favourite "item that turned out great in spite of my shortcomings" is the pirate hat:

Toddler Hat Flat


Are there any techniques that you want to learn?
I have yet to do cables, or entrelac, but I don't have an urgent need to learn them anytime soon. I am just really looking forward to learning how to spin with a drop spindle. Eventually I will learn to crochet, because one day I want to make a Babette blanket.


Do you have a yarn winder and/or swift?
Not yet.


How do you store your needles/hooks?
I have an interesting collection of thrift store cases, including one for my circulars that has the emblem of Thailand's national police force embossed on it.


Do you collect anything?
YARN! Also, my last swap partner started me with a little collection of sheep-shaped things (stitch markers, tape measure, button, soap), so I guess I could say I collect SHEEP-SHAPED STUFF now.


Do you like sweets?
Mmm, yes. Milk chocolate, chocolate with caramel and nuts (but no fruit), Jelly Bellies. I love things that are salty and sweet at the same time, like caramel corn or peanut brittle.


What are your favorite scents?
I like earthy, musky scents … but not patchouli. I also like herbal or "green" scents. They remind me of spring. Citrus works for me too, especially tangerine or grapefruit.


Are you having a birthday during this swap?
Yes, February 19th!


Do you have any online wish lists? (Amazon, Loopy Ewe, etc.) Please include a link for your pal.
No online wish lists.


What is your living situation?
I live in the suburbs with my husband, my adolescent son, and a cat named Cali who is a spoiled princess.


Are you allergic to anything?
I just discovered that I can't wear alpaca! It's too itchy! (I haven't tried baby alpaca to see if it's better, though.) Oh, and I have a non-smoker's aversion to tobacco smoke, but no official allergies.


Is there anything else that you would like your pal to know?
Sock yarn is wasted on me. (On the other hand, I've never seen a yarn I thought was too bulky to knit with.) Oh, and I absolutely love natural soaps, especially handmade ones. I am less picky about the scent of these, so long as it's not too overwhelming.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ooo ... Cascade is one of my all time favorite yarns!

I don't know if we'll have a full load as far as people for the swap goes. I'm usually close to my participant goal at this time, and we have more than half the spaces still open.

That's okay though ... it's still gonna be a great swap! Thanks again for helping out!

Philosophical Karen said...

I wonder if it's the time of year, the economy, or the stricter rules that's working against having more people sign up? I suspect that post-holiday belt-tightening probably has a lot to do with it.

NJ said...

Hey your birthday is the same as my daughter's. Seems to be a popular date because it's also my sister in law's birthday.

I've been reading the posted questionnaires. This is my first swap. I'm really looking forward to it.

Gardenista said...

Oh, the Noro is so nice, but seems expensive (not that I spend too long in yarn stores - and only online at that!). I've decided that my next purchase must be Noro Kureyon, as my toddler refuses to wear the nice warm socks I knit her. Could be that she is nearly 2 or that I don't knit in "her style"?