Friday, July 9, 2010

Summer Reading Swap Q&A

If you are on Ravelry, stop by and check out the swap group, The Swap Stop. I am a co-moderator with the lovely and talented Amy.

We’ve got a new swap getting ready to start and sign-ups run through July 20th, or until we fill all 40 spots. This is the first time we are trying a swap that is NOT a "secret pal" swap. Anyway, the topic we have chosen for the dog days of summer is Summer Reading (package to include one novel, one skein of yarn, one food item, and something related to your partner’s novel).

My Spring Reading

Summer Reading

SUMMER READING SWAP Q&A

Are you a knitter, crocheter, or both?

I am a knitter, but I am determined to (re)learn how to crochet so I can make a Babette blanket. I am currently collecting skeins of Koigu KPM solids and semi-solids with that in mind.

What type of projects are your favorite to knit/crochet?

I like small, straightforward projects. "Simple knitting is happy knitting" is my mantra. Lace flummoxes me. Cables are complicated. I like to add interest using colour and texture, instead of fancy stitches. Hence my love of Noro.

What are your favorite types of yarn? Any yarns that you don’t like?

I love Noro and similar self-striping yarn, DK weight and heavier. I don't usually like anything too thin. I don't see the point of straight acrylic that's trying to look like Patons Classic. I just buy wool instead. These days, I stay away from alpaca because it makes me itch.

What are your favorite colors? Any colors that you don’t like to work with?

I like strong colours and striking combinations. Pastels are not my thing. I dislike yellow (except acid yellow-green) and electric blue. I'm not fond of neutrals like white and beige; but grey, black, and navy are okay.

What are your favorite types of novels?

My absolute favourite types of novels are Scandinavian police procedurals, or other mysteries set in Scandinavia (think the Millenium mysteries, or Smilla's Sense of Snow). Also British police procedurals. I loved the Sookie Stackhouse books, but I wouldn't call myself a fan of the entire genre. In a more literary vein, I tend to like Commonwealth fiction, particularly novels set in India.

Who are some of your favorite authors? Favorite series? Favorite titles?

This is the most current information (it changes all the time).

Authors: Henning Mankell, Ian Rankin, Alex Gray, Arnaldur Indridason, Brian McGilloway, Graham Hurley.

Series:The Story of a Crime series (a.k.a. the Martin Beck novels) by Maj Sjowall and Per Wahlloo. The Millenium series by Stieg Larsson (Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, etc.).

Are there any books that you’ve been dying to read but haven’t? Or do you have a wish list (e.g., Amazon) you can share? (You can post a link here.)

I am currently reading book 8 in the Story of a Crime series by Maj Sjowall and Per Wahlloo. My bookstore doesn't have the last two books in the series: Cop Killer and The Terrorists.

I am thinking of reading the other books by Charlaine Harris (she has written more than just the Sookie Stackhouse series). And I would like to start Jim Butcher's Dresden Files series, since I liked the character when I read a short story by him that was included in an anthology.

What are your favorite types of sweets?

Jelly Bellies. Also chocolate, caramel, nuts.

What are your favorite scents?

I love citrus scents like tangerine and grapefruit. Anything light and not too floral is probably fine.

What is your living situation?

I live in the suburbs with my husband, a teenage son, and a cat named Cali who is a spoiled princess.

Do you have any allergies?

Smoke makes me sneeze and alpaca makes me itch.

Is there anything else that your pal should know?

I am a voracious reader, but I am very picky about the quality of writing in what I read. I've been known to scream because a character (a journalist riding a train) in a novel set in wartime England was described as wearing a "sparkling white shirt". That's just wrong on so many levels, which I would be happy to explain at great length to anyone willing to listen...

No comments: