
It is time, once again, to celebrate the local artisans, tastes, and cultures that make the areas where we live truly unique. This can be local to your town/city, state, or region. Sign ups run through March 26th, or until we have 40 participants. The swap is open to residents of the US and Canada only.
All Things Local Q&A
Are you a knitter or crocheter? Do you spin at all?
I'm a knitter, but I'm hoping to work on crochet over the next couple of months. I have used a drop spindle, but I am not really taken with spinning.
What are your favorite projects to create?
At one time I was all about the hats, scarves, and cowls, but now I have branched out into triangular scarves and shawls. I admire complicated lace, but can't produce it. I am much more about colour and texture. Simple knitting is happy knitting.
What is your favorite yarn type (wool, cotton, etc?) Any yarns you don’t like to work with?
My favourite fibre would be a merino/silk blend in a worsted weight. That being said, nothing beats a self-striping yarn in a natural fibre or blend. I tend to avoid anything with alpaca because I find it too itchy.
What is your favorite color ? Least favorite?
I like bright colours (except for yellow) and dark neutrals. I avoid whites and pastels.
What is your favorite thing about the area that you live in?
The city I live in is close to family. It's not pretentious. It has a small-town feeling with most amenities of a big city (we are within ten minutes drive of farm and woodland, and an hour's drive of the nearest metropolitan area).
What is your favorite thing to do when you visit a new place for the first time?
Well, I guess nowadays I would search out a local yarn store. But other than that, exploring the area is a favourite thing to do in a new place (maybe check out some foodie apps on my iPhone to look for recommended restaurants).
Do you have any other hobbies, besides fiber crafts?
Photography and gardening.
Do you collect anything?
Yarn, of course. And handmade soap. Well, I say I collect it, but actually I use it up as soon as I get it.
Do you like sweets?
Yes I like sweets. My favourites are Jelly Bellies. I also like milk chocolate, nuts, and caramel.
What are your favorite scents?
I like earthy, musky scents -- sandalwood, but not patchouli. I also like herbal or "green" scents. They remind me of spring. Citrus works for me too, especially tangerine or grapefruit.
Do you have any pets?
I have a cat named Cali who is a spoiled princess.
Are you allergic to anything?
I'm trying to avoid eating wheat. It's not quite the same thing as being "gluten-free", but GF products usually have ingredients other than wheat in them, so I tend to shop for GF stuff.
Is there anything else that you would like your pal to know?
I usually like to stick with yarn that is DK weight or thicker because it knits up quickly, but I know there are a lot of great local indie dyers that work with sock yarn, so I don't want to limit the options for this swap.
1 comment:
It's fun to read this and get to know you a bit better, Karen. Though I must say, I could have guessed most of this. :)
Post a Comment