
The first swap of 2012 is the 'Learn A New Skill Swap'. It is a new year, and what better way to kick it off than learning a new skill?
My Q&A
Do you knit or crochet? How long have you been at your craft?
I knit, and have for over 4 years now. But guess what? I want to (re)learn to crochet!
(I know I could crochet when I was 9 or 10, because I made my baby cousin a little vest out of granny squares. But it's been a while, and I seem to have forgotten what I used to know.)
What are your favorite yarns/fibers? Are there any that you want to try but haven’t?
My favourite is anything Noro, but especially Kureyon and Silk Garden Lite.
Are there any yarns/fibers that you don’t like?
Alpaca makes me itch, so I avoid it. I also tend not to knit with yarns that are lighter than DK weight (so no sock yarn). I normally prefer natural fibres, but I'm not against a nice blend with a higher proportion of natural fibres.
What colors do you like/dislike?
Are there any skills that you have been wanting to learn, but were afraid to try?
What would be the number one ‘skill’ you want to try this year?
Do you have a blog?
Do you collect anything?
Do you like sweets? What are your favorites?
Is there anything else that you want your pal to know?
What are your favorite yarns/fibers? Are there any that you want to try but haven’t?
My favourite is anything Noro, but especially Kureyon and Silk Garden Lite.
Are there any yarns/fibers that you don’t like?
Alpaca makes me itch, so I avoid it. I also tend not to knit with yarns that are lighter than DK weight (so no sock yarn). I normally prefer natural fibres, but I'm not against a nice blend with a higher proportion of natural fibres.
What colors do you like/dislike?
I prefer bright colours to pastels or neutrals. I steer clear of yellow, except as an accent colour to set off other brights -- though I do like yellow-green. In general, I prefer solids and tonals to variegated, though self-striping yarns with long colour runs are obviously on my list of "likes".
Are there any skills that you have been wanting to learn, but were afraid to try?
If I wanted to learn, I would not be afraid to try. I have tried things that turned out to be total disasters... but that's a different story.
What would be the number one ‘skill’ you want to try this year?
I want to crochet. I already have a specific project in mind, the Babette blanket. I have the pattern for it, I have (finally) collected the yarn, and I even have a couple of little 'how-to' booklets for learning to crochet. I would really like to learn how to make different types of squares and hexagons, not just the conventional granny square.
Do you have a yarn winder and/or a swift?
Yes, I have both.
Do you have a blog?
You're looking at it!
Do you collect anything?
Um, yarn? (Also handmade soap, and small sheep-shaped items. But I'm not quite as obsessive about these as I am about yarn.)
Do you like sweets? What are your favorites?
I am a fiend for Jelly Bellies.
What is your living situation like? Any pets? Children?
I live in the suburbs with my husband, a teenage son, and a cat named Cali who is a spoiled princess.
Are you allergic to anything?
I avoid wheat. I tend to use "gluten-free" products to achieve this, but it's really just wheat I am trying to avoid.
Is there anything else that you want your pal to know?
For picking up stitches I have used a couple of different types of crochet hooks. In general, I prefer metal to plastic or wood, and I tend to have an easier time when the hooks are "egg-shaped" rather than just flat notches cut into the shaft. (But if I happen to get matched up with an experienced crocheter, I defer to superior knowledge!)
1 comment:
Sounds like a good goal for 2012, Karen, which I'm sure you'll achieve. That Babette blanket looks like a charmer. Best wishes for the new year!
Post a Comment