
It's a Saroyan. The thinking behind this project is that I want a wraparound scarf that I can wear in three seasons; I want it to be green (more on that in a minute); and I want it to be longer and thinner than a traditional triangle.
So, why do I want it to be green? I recently changed my hair colour. After a few years of maintaining blonde, all-over highlights I have now gone to a single-tone brown with a hint of coppery red. (The nice thing about putting colour over highlights is that after a couple of washes, you get a bit of depth to the colour as the highlights start to come through.)
Anyway, now that my hair has a touch of red in it, the best colour next to my skin is green; hence my desire for a green, three-season scarf. And if it happens to be named after a character in one of my favourite TV shows, so much the better.
Just a note on the knitting and yarn: the original pattern calls for worsted weight yarn and size 10 (6 mm) needles. Since my yarn is approximately fingering/sport weight, I went down a needle size to 9 (5.5 mm). Looking at how loose the knitting is, I should probably have gone down to an 8 (5 mm). Anyway, I do not feel strongly enough about it to rip out what I have already done, so I think when I'm finished I'll just go over it with a steam iron. More aggressive blocking would open up the plain stitches too much, I think.
1 comment:
It's one of my favorite colors in the whole wide world, Karen, and I happen to be a redhead, naturally. :D
Post a Comment