
So I got 4.5 ounces of fiber to spin up on my drop spindle, and in case I need a refresher on how to do it -- which I totally will -- I now have a great reference book on spinning. (See, that's something I would never think to get for myself, which is just one more reason why my swap partner is the best!) Then there is Chai Redbush tea and Fiskars embroidery scissors. And last but not least, those washcloths with the soap are handmade by my partner.
Oh, and just check out how colour-coordinated everything is. I love that!
* * *
Well, I'm not sure if anyone noticed that I am making a change to simple knitting. I want to go on record as saying I did that before Sandi Wiseheart of Knitting Daily wrote this in her missive for Wednesday, February 25:
Sometimes we forget: Knitting is supposed to be fun. It's what we choose to do in our free time, it's what we do for ourselves—to calm ourselves, to enjoy the rhythm of stitches, to revel in the feel of yarn slipping through our fingers.
I like to remember this, especially when I'm frustrated and ready to throw a project, needles and all, all the way across the room! (Yes, of course this happens to me too!)
Ann Budd, the editor of Interweave's new book Simple Style, was my officemate for a while, and she used to say to me, "Remember it's only knitting--no one dies, no one's life is at stake."
Personally, I learned a lot by knitting one-and-a-half Aran afghan squares. And I couldn't have done what I did without the loving, patient, and selfless help given to me by my knitting mentor. Unfortunately, the kind of knitting these squares require is anything but calming for me. And I need calm right now, for my physical health and my sanity (both of which have been suffering lately). So I have given up the afghan.

My next self-chosen project is stupid-simple. I am going to make some Felted Slippers.* It's all garter stitch squares, and it's sort of like knitting an L-shaped scarf -- but it's not a scarf, which is good, because scarf season is rapidly passing. Also, since they are going to be felted, and they are for the feet, I can use my Lett-Lopi wool for this project. It's very hairy, scratchy wool, so it's better to make something with it that won't go next to sensitive skin.
So it seems like a win-win situation -- which is always a good thing.
* As of early April 2009, the pattern is no longer available for free at the site. Sorry about that.
5 comments:
I looked at the pattern link and the slippers look really cool.
So the knitting is simple stupid? ok but what about the origami construction after the knitting? Dunno if I could handle that part of it! LOL.
The finished slippers do not look simple stupid either! They look awesome! I might just have to make me a pair when my current slippers wear out.
Yeah, the origami part is not as simple as the knitting, but I am not worried about it. Oh, and these are knitting up so quickly I will be able to report on how it goes really soon.
There are definitely times to tackle big challenges but when it starts to become stressful it's always a good idea to back off. Unless it's like brain surgery or defusing a bomb or something, then I guess you've got to finish it. But for the more mundane things, definitely set them aside.
The slippers look really interesting, I'm looking forward to seeing how they turn out!
Your swap partner
Great swap partner! Wow...so jealous, one day I will get a drop spindle.Can't wait to see the finished slippers, the colours looked great so far. It is true, if you need to enjoy the knitting you are doing...I am hoping to make it through the 12 squares;)
Don't you just love non-bill mail? That is one nifty looking swap pack of goodies! I can't wait to see your finished slippers.
Post a Comment