Sunday, January 20, 2008

Progress on the Felted Bag

It's Sunday night and I've finished the second panel, sewn the two together and started the felting process. I'm in the middle of it right now.

Awaiting Sewing and Felting

It's going fairly well despite the fact that I am using an LG TROMM front-loading washing machine. Luckily it's one that controls the water depth so it will fall below the door when you stop mid-cycle. I can also control the heat of the water, and the amount of spin. So far, so good.

New Appliances

I am finding (so far) that I like the look of the purl side after it's felted better than I like the knit side. I am also finding -- as I suspected I would -- that the bag is wider and shallower than I really wanted. I should have kept knitting each panel until I ran out of wool.

First Panel Side Up

Felted Bag II

Second Panel Side Up

Felted Bag I

It took me two cycles of the program on my machine called "Speed Wash" (a twenty minute wash with very hot water, a cold rinse, and high spin speed). I modified the spin speed, though, because I was worried about the small load. I did put a pair of old 100% cotton pyjamas in to balance the load, but that's still not much.

It all worked out okay, though.

No comments: