Monday, January 7, 2008

False Start

I was almost finished the panel shown in the previous photo.

It was a lot of work, but in the end I unravelled* it.

I got to thinking. Here is what I thought:

  1. I hated the variegation pattern with all those blobs of dark colours alternating with green-and-orange ones.
  2. I've never done felting before, but I sense that felting will succeed much better with a tight knit, as opposed to the loose knit that resulted from my using 7 mm needles.
  3. I tried a test with 4.5 mm needles (US 7) -- originally I was going to do only the green handles in a tighter knit -- and I liked it so much it suddenly became worth it to abandon all the work I'd just done.
  4. I'm a perfectionist and I want to make things the best they can be. If that means ripping out work, so be it.

So now I'm starting again, knitting a panel with the same 80 cast-on stitches, but this time on 4.5 mm needles. Already I can see that the variegation pattern is totally different. Instead of blobs, I now have stripes, which is what I wanted.

Let's hope this one is not another false start.

--
Current Ravelry Invite status:

4383 people ahead of me on the list
1353 people behind

--
* Since writing this post, I have learned (I think) that I should say, "I frogged it."

No comments: