Wednesday, January 30, 2008

My Second Felted Bag

I am zipping right along with the second felted bag project, based on the "Fur" Trimmed Bag pattern in the book Felted Knits by Beverly Galeskas.

Main Part Mostly Done

Now that I look at it, I think I should have done multiple stripes instead of one wide stripe of purple -- but unless you try things, you don't know, do you?

(I'm practising to be a "fearless knitter". Fearless knitters aren't afraid to try something to see if it works, and they aren't afraid to unravel any work they have done that is not quite right.)

Fuzzy Border

The pattern called for a fun fur border (naturally), but I used some Patons Cha Cha whose colours echo the variegated Freedom wool. It's a long eyelash yarn and it's actually more "fuzzy" than "furry". Because of that, I helped it out a bit by purling the rows* where I used the Cha Cha yarn. I just did 3 rows, mostly because I thought that looked better, and also because I was running out of the Freedom Wool to carry it along with.

All I have left to do now is knit some handles with my still-plentiful Leaf Green Patons Classic Merino (which I will felt separately and sew on after); sew the seam along the bottom of the bag; and felt the main section of the bag.

I'm thinking I'm going to need finer control of the felting for this one, so I will try hand felting it. This accomplishes two things: gives me the control I need so I don't overfelt the bag, and lets me learn a new skill.

And learning new skills is good! I am a fearless knitter!

Um, yeah. Sometimes.

* EDIT: Oops, just re-read the pattern and you were supposed to do that anyway. So I'm not so clever as I thought I was. (Okay, that's just a given.)

1 comment:

Alison said...

YOU my dear are VERY fast!!!