Saturday, June 27, 2009

The Mighty Lemongrass

Went to Michaels craft store today since I had a 10%-off-everything coupon, valid only this morning. (I also had a 50%-off-one-item coupon that I was going to use, until it was pointed out to me that it doesn't take effect until tomorrow.)

Patons Classic Wool in 'Lemongrass'

So, in spite of their bragging on a poster in the doorway about lots of new yarn, the yarn section seemed the same as always. Though I did notice some big skeins of Lion Brand Fisherman's Wool, and what seemed to be a few new colours of Patons Classic. I'm sure I've never seen Lemongrass before. I could be wrong though. Anyway, it's my kind of colour, so I bought some.

At the checkout they had a display of beads so I bought some of those too (a few packages). Despite being on clearance, they were a little more expensive than I am used to paying, but I loved the colour and the holes were big enough to use with yarn, so I grabbed them while I could. Besides, I got another 10% off anyway.


I am sort of thinking that I could knit an Odessa hat in Lemongrass with those lovely lavender beads. It's not really a winter colour though, and the Classic Wool is probably too warm for spring.

Oh well, the other thing that's on my mind lately is a question. How long do I make my scarf? And do I give it a soak to soften it up when I've finished knitting it?

Noro Scarf

See, I know Noro softens up beautifully with soaking, but it also stretches out. I am also worried that I will lose some intensity in the colours, especially the red-based ones.

What to do...What to do...

2 comments:

Terri said...

I love the lemongrass! I would wear that in winter. But then one of my winter jackets is lime green, the other is burnt orange, so what do I know! ha ha ha! I will have to investigate Classic Wool colours; I haven't bought any for a while and what I had bought was pretty neutral.

skein genius said...

oooh, the lemongrass is pretty! As for the concern about dye loss, maybe add a bit of vinegar to the soak water...might help wit hthe colorfastness, I've done it a time or two with some of my sock yarns, and it works like a champ most of the time.