But I did do some knitting. And some chatting about knitting.
Let me explain.
I had to go to the lab and get some bloodwork done, and this time it really did involve one of those awful, drink-the-orange-liquid-and-sit-for-two-hours fasting tests. So we got there at 8:00 AM and I was ushered into room number 4 to wait for the busy nurse at the front desk to come and see to me. While I waited, I knit my sock.

Well, wouldn't you know, the nurse was a knitter, and boy was she fascinated with my Knit Picks Harmony circular needle. So, while I was getting poked with a (non-knitting) needle to have my blood taken, I was chatting about Knit Picks, wooden versus metal circulars, magic loop knitting, communal orders to save on shipping, and all sorts of other knitting lore.
When she was done with the first round of blood collection, she led me back out into the waiting room, gave me the orange liquid to drink, and set a timer for two hours.
Whereupon I sat and knit, for (you guessed it!) two hours.
And endured a variety of seatmates -- including the lady who ate raw garlic for breakfast. Ugh!
Finally I heard a buzzing noise, which turned out to be my timer. A different nurse led me back into room number 4. She was just tying on the tourniquet when in comes my old friend, the first nurse, looking to take over so she could talk to me some more.
Now, as it turned out, both nurses in the room with me were knitters. So for five minutes while my second vial of blood was being drawn, I talked Knit Picks with the two of them. At the end of it, they had pretty much decided they would be going in together on an order and splitting the shipping.
(I didn't mention that if they could find someone who had access to a U.S. shipping address, they could actually take advantage of free shipping, like we do in our Knit & Chat group.)
Speaking of which, the nurses work full time so they aren't free during the day, but I told them where we meet so that if they ever get a Monday or a Friday off they can come and find us at Starbucks.
No comments:
Post a Comment