Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Knitting Guild

Went to my first meeting of the Knitting Guild. It was huge -- well, for a knitting guild (I'm no good at estimating crowds, but I'd guess there were maybe 80-100 people there). Lots of organizing going on. Oh, and since the current location is a community centre, and the night of the next Guild meeting is also the night of the national election, our meeting might get pre-empted. Apparently Elections Canada has a bit of clout and they can force the venue to cancel our meeting so that the room can be used as a polling station.

Second Odessa (No Beads)

Second Odessa

This year, Karen (of Shall We Knit?) is the membership co-ordinator, so copies of the SWK Newsletter for September were available at the meeting. I was surprised and pleased to note that they are offering a class in the Odessa hat. I guess I just saved myself $20 by being self-taught. (I knit several inches of my current Odessa hat while listening to the night's presentation on Japanese knitting.) I am interested in a few classes on offer in the newsletter, though, especially the dyeing workshop at Shelridge Farms.

I went to the meeting with Lyz, and we sat with Lynn and Gail from the Starbuck's Friday Knit & Chat. (We have all committed to being there this Friday, so it is starting up again.) I'll be taking my Stolen Moments wrap, to get it back to the requisite 39 stitches. I took it up today to try and make some progress, but all I did was wreck it again.

I have a couple of mindless projects on the go (well, not so mindless actually, since I am on the shaping/decreases for both projects). The Noro hat is moving right along.

Noro Hat for Hubby

Noro Hat

I have recently resumed working on the Southwest Colours purse. I want to incorporate the blue-brown Byron Bay into it for some added interest. Unfortunately the purse is knit from the top down and I am almost finished. I guess I can either weave the novelty yarn in with a yarn needle (but how would that work with the felting/fulling, I wonder?), or I could try picking up stitches at the top.

My Southwest Colours Purse

Southwest Colours Purse in Progress

I had posted a small project that is destined for a swap partner, but I'm in two swaps and it could go for either. One is secret and one is not. Well, one we are supposed to keep secret for three months. That's going to be hard. Anyway, wouldn't stay much of a secret if my swap partner came here and saw her gift, would it? (The secret swap might be issuing a list of members' blogs so everyone can visit everyone else, so I have to take precautions, haha.)

4 comments:

Sandra said...

If you have a chance to take a class with Buffy at Shelridge - do it. SHe;s so nice, and her colourways are outstanding

kalyle said...

Hi Bridge, ask and ye shall receive -- a comment from a Falling for Ewe visitor :) The best part about your post on the discussion re: blogging/maintaining secret identity was the fact that your ravatar perfectly matched the "Hmmm..." comment. I giggled!

Love the colours of your projects in this post. Happy stitching / swapping!

Anonymous said...

Is that Noro hat the beehive looking one? Someone just have me that pattern and I was thinking of trying it in Soy Wool Stripes. Your hats are beautiful.

BTW, you can beg, we don't mind. FFE fellow swapper.

Philosophical Karen said...

Ari, yes, it's the beehive hat -- but my husband thinks he would like it not quite so pointy, if I can manage it, so I will see what I can do.

SWS would be awesome, I think. So much softer than Noro.