I have motivated myself to dig out the leftovers I have of the Hayfield Ibiza yarn it was made from, and do some calculated "randomization" with the remaining half-cylinder of the assorted Czech seed beads I made the original with.
Gathering the Materials

If you were around for the making of the first hat, or if you ever got a close look at how the bead pattern on it ended up, you will be able to guess why I'm doing this.
Like Sudoku, With Beads

Here I am assembling a "random" colour pattern that is actually not random, but carefully calculated to contain no repeats in any row, column, or left-slanting diagonal.
For the first hat, I just threaded the beads any old way, in a completely random sequence not influenced by any consideration for the finished object.
The Old Way -- Completely Random

I ended up with areas of pooling (purple/blue and red/orange) interspersed within areas of naturally dispersed colours.
Knitting the Original: Pooling Orange and Blue

This time, I'm not taking any chances.
2 comments:
I feel so bad that you lost your hat. I checked the truck over again very carefully and it's not there.
Hopefully a knitter picked it up from where it fell and you will get it back. It's good to see you are able to recreate it. Your first Odessa was gorgeous. This one will be even better.
I knit my 23 year old daughter a beautiful gretel hat out of baby alpaca. She absolutely loved it and then she lost it when she was out for kaorake with friends. When she told me something really bad happened that night. I was thinking rape, fights, murder when she said the really bad thing was she lost her hat. Later that day she went back to the club to see if they had a lost and found and there was her hat laying on the sidewalk in front of the place. Now I don't know whether to feel happy she found it or sad that the hat I made wasn't even good enough for Toronto's homeless!
Your new hat is gorgeous. Love the beads!
Post a Comment