Saturday, January 10, 2009

Plying (It's Like Playing, Only Without the 'A')

I went to the second half of Ashley's spinning class this morning, where we learned plying. The finished object for today is a small skein of super-bulky two-ply wool, although I'm really not sure I want that amount of super-bulky wool. I think I'd rather have twice that amount of chunky singles, the ones that I made to ply together today.

A Small Skein of Two-Ply Wool

In other words, although I am glad of the knowledge I gained in learning to make a plied yarn on my drop spindle, all I really want from learning to spin is to take roving and turn it into chunky wool that I can knit and felt with.

This is what's on the spindle right now:

Spun Wool

That's the stuff I can't wait to knit with.

***

Oh, and as it turns out, the striped hat I just finished is the perfect size for my husband's head. I just have to sew all the umpty-hundred ends in on the inside, and then he can replace the Smurf Hat* he's been dutifully wearing for the last few weeks. (You see, having a loyal and loving husband to knit for is a double-edged sword. On the one hand, he will wear anything you knit for him. On the other hand, he will wear anything you knit for him.)

* WE INTERRUPT THIS BLOG POST FOR A PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT:

If you soak a Noro beehive hat to try to make it softer, it grows bigger. If you then felt the thing in the hope of making it smaller again, the rings at the top of the hat become self-supporting instead of collapsing on top of one another. In case you are not able to picture what that looks like, here's a clue.



WE NOW RETURN TO OUR REGULAR PROGRAMMING

I think my husband will like the striped hat as a substitute.

A New Hat

2 comments:

cmeknit said...

Come on! Smurf hats are cute;)
Great spinning...totally jealous.

Anonymous said...

Love the color of that roving!