Tuesday, January 13, 2009

There's Good News and There's Bad News...

I finished spinning all the first batch of roving I received in the spinning class. (For the second batch I chose the lone braid of undyed roving. You know me. I'm dying to try dyeing it.) I did what I threatened to do, which was untwist the plied yarn so I could have twice the length in a bulky single.

Spindle Full of Handspun

You would not believe how happy that made me. I researched knittable patterns diligently, and came up with Amy Swenson's Cabled Button Toque, from the Make One Yarn Studio list of free patterns (on Ravelry here).

I even found some co-ordinating stash yarn with which to knit the brim.

A Great Pair

Then I found out I had to set the twist on the handspun before I could knit with it.

Wah!

So I dutifully carried my precious handspun to the sink; filled the sink with Eucalan-enhanced, dishwater-hot, hot water; placed my precious hanks of handspun deliciousness into the sink, and...

Promptly forgot about them. (Je suis une femme d'un certain âge, what can I say?)

So now my handspun is a little bit lighter than it was before, since some of the pinky-red colour leached out of it. But of course, that's purely my own fault, so don't take it that I am complaining about anything other than my own distractibility. Heh.

***

Well, but there’s some good news to report, too. I didn’t notice until this weekend when I cleaned out the receipts in my wallet that we came back from our vacation minus two skeins of yarn.

I tried very hard to figure out what might have happened to them. I even briefly considered the possibility that one of the housekeeping staff might have taken a shine to my lovely yarn and made it her own. But in all honesty I couldn’t ever remember having those two skeins with me anywhere outside the shop.

So I emailed the shop and the owner is replacing them for me. (I gave her enough information to hopefully jog someone’s memory about the transaction, and maybe check her inventory, but it didn’t matter. Her customer service policy was to replace the yarn.)

And for that she'll get all the word-of-mouth goodwill I can give her. So, if you happen to live, or travel, in the vicinity of Macon, Georgia, I can highly recommend Creative Yarns. (Just, you know, check your bag before you leave, because it's very embarrassing to discuss these matters after the fact.)

1 comment:

cmeknit said...

Love that touque! Cant wait to see yours.