Eh? Am I Right? (My First Purchase of the Day!)

As I said, the arrangements were hastily made at the Friday Night Knit & Chat. They involved me calling Heather (on her husband's cell phone) early Saturday morning to confirm the arrangements for the chair.
[Aside: My husband thought it was very amusing that I was supposed to call another woman's husband. I can just imagine that his -- my husband's, I mean -- little mind was searching for some way he could link that fact to all the "swaps" I've been taking part in lately.]
So anyway, speaking of my husband, he was the one taking me to the Frolic, dropping me off so I could hook up with the others inside. (He and The Boy had a wonderful day at the Ontario Science Centre.) That worked out fine. The four of us knitters then spent all of 10 minutes together before we drifted off to explore different booths and didn't see much of each other again until we were ready to leave.
Now, I had managed the confines of the Frolic fine with my cane, but when it came time to leave, I was to sit in the wheelchair. I was soooo ready. And this is when the real adventure began.
We took the bus.
And the subway.
We ate street meat.
And walked down Queen Street.
That's it in a nutshell... but if I left it at that I'd be nuts. So here are the details.
Heather pushed the wheelchair out into the sunny 26 degree weather (that's almost 80 Fahrenheit) and all the way to the nearest bus stop, at which point I disembarked and used my cane again for a while -- it was just going to be easier to manage a bus that way. We took the 100 Flemingdon Park bus along Eglinton Ave until we got to the eponymous (that would be 'Eglinton') station.
[Aside: Unbeknownst to my pals -- until I made a huge deal of telling them, of course -- in the late nineteen-eighties I was taking that bus daily back and forth to work at IBM as a TID Kid (Toronto Information Development Co-op Student). So, sitting in the bus as an obnoxious tourist, I suddenly had flashbacks to those days, and I remembered exactly how I felt about tourists invading my bus, usually on their way to the Science Centre. All I can say to the current denizens who had to put up with us that afternoon is...I am soooo sorry.]
Finally we arrived at the station, navigated the transit elevator, and made it to the trains. (I haz photos! WOOT!)
I took these with my iPhone. Eat your heart out, Sam Javanrouh.
Um, that's a joke, okay? Sam Javanrouh takes the most wonderful photos of Toronto and publishes a new photo daily on his highly acclaimed photography blog. My ugly cell phone photos, though similar in subject matter, do not hold a candle to his works of art. Are we clear on that? Good!
Eglinton Station

Train Coming In

People Exiting Train

Whew! That's a lot of writing. I need to finish this one up for now. Stay tuned for Part III: Street Meat and Queen Street.
2 comments:
OMG! Love the posts #1 and #2. Can't wait till u post the next! I am totally reliving the ordeal. Seems like it was just yesterday!
Your phone takes really good pictures!
Post a Comment