See, I finished the pirate hat at the Knit & Chat yesterday. The hat ended up with a pointy top. (I had thought that was something bad that I did, and it may well have been, but perusing other Fake Isle hats on Ravelry, more than a few other knitters had this same problem, so at least I am not alone.)
How I solved it was by adding I-cord and making a dangling tassel, so it looks like this.

Or, here is another view (which makes it look taller and thinner than it would actually be on a kid's head when it's all stretched out).

So, I think I have found my knitting niche. Some people are lace knitters. Others love making socks. I guess really good knitters don't even have a niche because they can do everything well. But my niche is two-colour stranded knitting (some of which is fair isle and some of which is... not; however, I don't know what the difference is).
Something else I started on was the Modern Quilt Wrap, with my vintage mohair. Here it is so far. It will likely not make it to wrap or even scarf stage, because I just don't like the way it's turning out. I wish I had the inclination to spend the money on Kidsilk Haze and make it properly, but I don't. I will have to learn to crochet and make a Babette blanket in order to satisfy my colour-mixing craving.

Working with the yarn, I realize that the vintage mohair/acrylic is very soft and lovely to work with. The modern mohair/polyacryl yarn is, as they say, "plasticky". But I am loving the colours of that stuff. My new favourite colour combination is lavender and brown. (Okay, who else is thinking of the character in the Harry Potter series, Lavender Brown, and picturing her lip-locked with Ron Weasley and calling him "Won-Won"? Hmm, maybe it's just me.)
Speaking of Harry Potter, and the author J.K. Rowling, the small town where my favourite LYS is located also has a wonderful independent bookstore. The bookstore is organizing a "Christmas at Hogwarts" event for charity, associated with J.K. Rowling's new book, Tales of Beedle the Bard. I so want to go. I think I can convince my family to go with me, although The Boy is getting a little old to be enthusiastic about it. He will still be 12 when the event happens, though it's pretty close to his 13th birthday.
Since I am still committed to making a hat for my dad, I just cast on for a new top-down fair isle toque. I might not make it using the original pattern though. I have pirates as an option now, and I suppose I could look up some other patterns on the web and see what I could adapt to the number of rows I have available. I guess we'll see. I haven't even chosen a contrast yarn for this one yet. (Though I might go with the Winter White again.)
I just hope this one fits!
Edited to Add: I just noticed that this is my 100th post. Yay!
No comments:
Post a Comment