Thursday, November 13, 2008

Knitters Who Jog, and the Yarns that Help Them

Did I do it?

Yes I did it.

I went and bought another bag of Wendy Fusion in a contrasting colourway meant to tone down the green/yellow/orange/red. So I got this blue/purple/crimson/curry colourway.

The Contrast Colourway

And I proceeded to knit a striped hat with it.

The hat started life as a Wedge Hat, which was easy for me since it's a top-down design. But then the stripes weren't quite the effect I was looking for in a hat like that, so I changed to an ordinary striped toque.

It looked great at first, if I do say so myself.

Top-Down Striped Toque

I really liked the way the green knit up with the blue and purple at the top of the hat. But then we got to the part where you have to knit straight down. And the stripes in the self-striping yarn are sweater length, not hat length, so I had to start manipulating the colour changes. Now I have many, many ends to weave in.

But the worst thing of all is completely my own newbie-knitter fault, and nothing I can blame on yarn. To knit stripes in the round requires that you address the problem of the "jog" that happens where the colours change.

Ahem.

I did not do that.

Definitely NOT Jogless Stripes

I am going to try and disguise this somehow. I am thinking bright yellow i-cord.

Yeah, idiot-cord.

Kind of appropriate for the "idiot" knitter who made the hat...

Now, lest anyone think my self-esteem is too low, don't worry. Here is how I really feel about this hat: Don't you just love the stripes when you can't see the join? Isn't that a great colour scheme? It's not all bad. I could knit another one -- with jogless stripes -- and it would be great!

No comments: