Sunday, December 27, 2009

Happy Holiday

So, Christmas is behind us and now we are enjoying the rest of our holiday.

Christmas Tree in the Hall

The weather did not cooperate yesterday for winter activities like skiing, snowshoeing, and skating, so for part of the day we stayed indoors watching episodes of True Blood on DVD (not recommended for family viewing, by the way) and we spent part of the day exploring the town.

Just a word on cottage country fashion, from what we have found on our stay: warm (read: ugly) winter boots go with anything, even sparkly holiday dresses and serious suits. When you are walking from villa to lodge and back again, and every path is covered in grit, with two to three feet of snow piled beside it, winter boots are de rigueur.

On the Path from Lodge to Villa

So even when we went for Christmas dinner, and some people decided to dress up for the occasion (sadly, not everyone did), you saw clunky winter boots everywhere.

Back in town yesterday, all the restaurants were closed (in the downtown proper, I mean), but the clothing stores were open. So if you wanted to buy hoodies, Peruvian knitted hats, or very expensive goose down parkas, you would be in luck. Actually, my husband did pick himself up a nice new jacket, since he's been zipping up his current one with a paper clip (yeah, the jacket is fine, it's just that the zipper is toast). We'll probably take the old jacket to a tailor and see if they can put in a new zipper. It's a really nice jacket. He got it from work, and it has his work logo embroidered on it, so it's worth saving if we can.

We did end up going for lunch at a great restaurant called "Three Guys and a Stove", one of the few that was actually open on Boxing Day. One of the great things about this restaurant is that it actually shares a parking lot with the local yarn store, Knitting Three Together, so we got to drive past the yarn store to get there. (Holiday hours mean that the yarn store has been closed the whole time we have been here, but I hope to stop in for a visit before we go home.)

And speaking of knitting...

Yes, I got yarn for Christmas, including three skeins of Noro Maiko that was always destined to be a hat. So I borrowed E.'s hat book (which I will buy myself a copy of now, I am sure) and got a start on this:

Holiday Knitting

Yes, those balls are hand-wound. I used the backs of two chairs to hold the skein while I repurposed it into a ball.

I had forgotten how much I like two-colour knitting. I see more of it in my future.

1 comment:

Olivia said...

ha! I know what you mean about True Blood. I would be choosy about which family members to watch it with! hope you enjoyed though.