Wednesday, December 9, 2009

The Art of Knitting

In our local Ravelry forum thread, we've been discussing these T-shirts:

EZ Has a Posse

Fashion afficionado Lise couldn't believe anyone would wear such a thing. (For me, it's not a case of whether it looks good or not. I am not an EZ groupie, so I would no more wear a picture of her emblazoned on my chest than I would, say, Karla Homolka. Okay, well, I guess that comparison is not exactly fair to Elizabeth Zimmerman. But it is nonetheless true.)

Apparently, according to Suzanne (known as Zerocattle on Ravelry), it is a parody of Andre the Giant Has a Posse. (The Posse campaign eventually evolved into the Obey Giant campaign, which I was already familiar with. I did not know of its early origins, though, so I didn't recognize the EZ parody for what it was.)

These campaigns are what is known as "street art" -- or, what most of us call "graffiti".

But another type of street art is making the news these days: Guerrilla Knitting. My friend Cyndi, who was my pen-pal when we were teenagers, sent me the link. Her timing was excellent, because on the weekend I spotted this in Uptown Waterloo.

Guerrilla Knitting

(For once my iPhone camera actually did a good job at capturing exactly what I was looking at.)

But a little bit of knitting decorating a bike rack is hardly ambitious compared to another project that is in the works, which I heard about through the KW Knitters' Guild. An application for funding and permission to encase an entire bridge in handknit fabric will soon be submitted, if it hasn't been already. While this may not exactly qualify for "guerrilla" status (owing to the funding and permission-seeking), it is Art-with-a-capital-A. Naturally, they will need volunteers to create the pieces of knitted fabric, so the project was announced at a guild meeting earlier this year.

And speaking of the guild, we just had our December meeting, which was a Holiday celebration. I put my rusty baking skills to work and created some (very crumbly) peanut butter shortbread cookies, and of course the infamous dodonut balls. For those of you who may have a convection oven, never use the convection option for baking cookies. Also, if you are going to try to fix a problem by drizzling chocolate on your cookies, don't use melted chocolate chips. That way you can avoid making the same mistakes I did.

3 comments:

Lise said...

Not really an aficionado, but my point was more.. if you are truly a fan, why would you wear a shirt that depicts her in such an unflattering way? Not so much that the shirt was ugly (although it is) but that the picture was ugly (and it is). This was before I was educated regarding the whole Posse meme, but I really have to wonder if Ms. Zimmerman is rolling in her grave.. ;)

Philosophical Karen said...

I would like to think it would take more than that for her to be rolling in her grave. I'm sure she'd have an "opinion" on it, though.

Anonymous said...

Guerrilla knitting ... fantastic. I think I remember reading something last year about that ... on someone's blog maybe.

That t-shirt .... well, I'm just not sure. I'm all for quirky cult-icon stuff, but I just don't know. :-)