Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Blog Cookie Exchange

Today is Susie's 5th Annual Blog Cookie Exchange party.

It's sort of a tradition for me to participate in Susie's shindig. In earlier years, I used to actually have Christmas decorations to show photos of. (Don't be looking for any of that this year. This year we are going green. Not with eco-friendliness, but with grinchiness.)

However, in past years, we have actually done some Christmassy things like bake cookies together, The Boy and I.

Decorating Cookies

Christmas Cookies

Then a couple of years later, he signed up at a local cake decorating school to make these awsome beauties.

Looking for the Elusive Sweet Spot

(That was the year I got my LensBaby camera lens for Christmas, so I took some creatively focused photos of the Christmas cookies, in case you were wondering.)

So anyway, this year I have done a little bit of Christmas baking. No cookies, but I have actually made two batches of my famous dodonut balls. The first batch were awesome, because I tripled most of the ingredients like sugar and butter (and I used one extra egg), but I only two-point-fived the dates, so that batch turned out really rich and delicious.

Dodonut BallsAn illustrated recipe can be found here.

So I made the mistake of tempting fate. I actually put it out there in the world that my dodonut balls are better than my sister's. (For Christmas she has given us a tin of her baking to enjoy, so I was immediately able to compare.)

Then I proceeded to make my second batch of dodonut balls. Which turned out okaaaay, but not as awesome as the first batch I made. This was my own fault, for tempting fate that way. But the second batch I made are still a little better than my sister's, IM(NS)HO.*

So anyway, what better tradition to carry on for Christmas than good old sibling rivalry?

Santa always loved me best.

---
* In my (not so) humble opinion

5 comments:

Susie said...

I remember the balls! I so covet your knitting ability. Two friends have recently given me scarves, each one lovely and unique, and I wear them to death. Knitted things make people feel happy and loved. Merry Christmas, Karen :) Thanks for coming around my ghost town of a blog!

Vajana said...

those sugar cookies are divine! Looks like a lot of work/fun! Merry Christmas!!!

Anonymous said...

I have never made cookies that could stand up to those beauties! On the other hand, with 4 boys and a husband (and my cookie monster self), it matters much less what they look like, as long as they taste good.
I might have to try those dodonut balls...

Anonymous said...

and so did your parents ;-)

and so do I. Of course.

Merry Christmas, Karen!

Anonymous said...

Look how pretty those cookies are! Wow - I'm so jealous. I'll have to channel your skills next year when I make mine. :-)