Saturday, August 1, 2009

The Chattering Classes

There was a fairly good turnout at the Starbucks Friday Knit & Chat, in spite of it being a nice day (so rare this summer) and the Friday before a long weekend.

So, I was trying to hide my FUB(A)AR* Odessa hat, when Lise called out, "Hand it over," and proceeded to spend her time doing the ripping that I couldn't face, and more importantly, picking the right number of stitches back up again. (Thank you, Lise!)

This freed me up to start yet another Odessa hat, this time in the lovely Noro Aurora. (Now that's a tongue twister: try saying "Noro Aurora Odessa" ten times fast.) Since the Odessa pattern knits up really quickly, it now looks like this.

Sparkly Aurora Odessa

Actually I got the ribbing done at the Knit & Chat, and the rest I worked on at home while watching two of Kenneth Branagh's best film interpretations of Shakespeare. The wonderful Much Ado About Nothing and of course, Henry V. Interestingly, a young Robert Sean Leonard played Claudio in Much Ado About Nothing. (You may know him as Dr. Gregory House's best friend Wilson from the popular medical drama House.)

©2005 FOX BROADCASTING COMPANY
Credit: Dean Headner/FOX.


Now, we might have had an ulterior motive in watching Shakespeare, since The Boy (or Fedora Boy as he is now called) just finished attending Drama Camp, where a group of kids aged 13-17 learned all sorts of cool stuff about acting in Shakespearean plays.

So, during the Shakespearean movie-fest I also did some more knitting on the ripped Odessa, using the magic loop method (since I didn't have another 16-inch circular in the size I needed). It's still not completely error-free, but because of the way I knit, none of my Odessa's ever are. I always have to go back and sew in a couple of fake stitches here and there to patch up unintended holes in the lace.

Beaded Odessa, Fixed Again

And, in other knitting news, I actually added to my knitting library again. A magazine, Creative Knitting, and a book, Knit to Be Square by Vivian Høxbro. Of course, the book is all about mitred squares, so I plan to get some use out of it.

Knitting Library Acquisitions

Vivian Høxbro gives several different recipes for slippers similar to my "Norwegian Slippers" that I knit in an L shape a while back. However, since hers consist of mitred squares (and some mitred triangles), they are not folded and sewn into shape, but more or less knitted into the right shape just by picking up the stitches needed to place the squares and triangles properly.

There is also a very cute toddler hat in there that I would like to try knitting. Hopefully before my niece's kids are too old to count as toddlers anymore.

* That's "Fouled up beyond (almost) all repair"

No comments: