We went to the big Starbucks because it's March Break and some of us had kids in tow. Including me. (This actually worked out well for me. My kid enjoyed several hours of interactive DS gaming. "Mom, feel free to keep knitting as long as you like." Exact quote. "You'll be here knitting during summer vacation, too, won't you?" Another exact quote. It's not every mom who can say her teenage boy begs to come to Knit & Chat with her.)
Oh man. The Wicked Witch (WW) and her entourage showed up sometime midmorning, right when the place was at its most crowded. That's right. Even as big as the new Starbucks is, at one point it was crowded. Several large groups came in looking for tables, and the knitters (and kids) were dominating both main seating areas. So we rearranged some chairs and moved the kids over to one table, leaving the smaller seating area free. We did this out of a willingness to co-operate and share space and try to get along with people.
You know. Because that's how these things are done.
What did WW do? First thing, went to counter and talked to the staff. Not sure about what, but presumably NOT to ask directions to the washroom. I do know that she and her cronies never approached us or any other group of people trying to work out how to find some space for themselves. They eventually took the smaller seating area we had freed up. It was actually a perfect fit for them. Don't know why they couldn't have sat there on Monday...
Well, that's the soap opera over with. Oh -- for the locals who read this blog -- the tall, wingback-style chairs from the smaller seating area are gone now. (Crap! They were comfortable too; some of us have short legs!) They've been replaced by the less comfortable leather club chairs. (Well, as the club chairs get worn in I guess the cushions will get cushier and maybe then my feet will be able to touch the floor again.)
I know about the club chairs because my husband and I went to that Starbucks again for our date night. Apparently, I didn't get enough of the place by spending four hours there this morning, so I had to go back. (Does my sarcasm muscle sound tired to you? I've been exercising it quite a bit lately. Maybe it's time to give it a rest.)

Maybe I should talk about some knitting now. I'm in a knitting rut again. It's the change of season. Knitting hats and scarves doesn't feel right anymore, and I'm not ambitious enough to try anything bigger. (Not liking to knit lace and not liking to wear arm-revealing clothing is a big drawback for spring/summer knitting.) And since I don't knit socks...
Anyway, I actually broke out my cheap mohair collection and began knitting my modular triangular shawl that I originally started last November. I'm basing it on the Modern Quilt Wrap, but I am going to rearrange the squares into a triangle shape then finish it off by knitting little triangles at the ends.
I have no problem knitting the squares. I'm even okay with sewing in all the umpty-hundred-thousand ends. What I like the least about this project is picking up stitches. However, I think that by the end of it I will be pretty good at doing that. At least, that is my hope.

Confession: I started out following the colour scheme given in the pattern, now I am just winging it. Which is interesting. A bit like the whole sudoku beads thing. Or playing "colour the map" in geography. I hope I don't knit myself into a corner I can't get out of.
No comments:
Post a Comment