Sunday, October 5, 2008

Busy Weekend

The fair isle hat progresses (there's still an inch or so of ribbing to go):

So Close

The mittens are FINISHED!

Finished Mittens

On Saturday, my husband took me to the Coats and Clark Outlet in Mississauga so I could see what it was like. It's only open Thursday, Friday, and Saturday, and he remembered from last Saturday that I said I wanted to go sometime.

So when we got there he proceeded to "enable" me to buy a -- what's a more polite word for "sh*tload"? (sorry) -- of yarn. I think I may have just entered what the Yarn Harlot refers to as Stash Acquisition Beyond Life Expectancy (SABLE).

Note to Self: In future I am not allowed to shop in any store that only sells yarn in bagged lots.

But the good news is I think I got enough yarn (two bags at $7 each, or 70 cents a ball) to make the Trapeze Tunic/Dress from Tahki Stacy Charles.

Oh, and at some point I thought I should mention that I finally decided to frog the flower washcloth. Some things just aren't worth keeping, and that was one.

Today (Sunday) was another good yarn day. I went to the dyeing workshop at Shelridge Farm. What a fun day out that was!

Lynne Dyes Yarn at Shelridge

Dyeing Yarn at Shelridge Farm

Oh yeah, see all that yummy yarn in the background? All for sale. I was mostly immune (due to my huge purchase the day before), but not completely. I saw a single skein in the $5 sale rack and it was calling out to me for the new fair isle hat I have on the needles. Oh yes, I love the first one so much I have to knit another since I have another skein of Noro.

A Perfect Match

So now my laundry room -- well, the whole upstairs, actually -- smells like wet wool from the freshly dyed hanks that I have laid out to dry.

Dyed Wool Waiting to Dry

I enjoyed myself so much. And I found out through Buffy's husband that a man I used to work with (eight years ago now!) got married last year. (The woman was already his common-law wife, but it's always nice when people make things official.) She has a very distinct first name, probably more common in Eastern Europe than here, so when I heard him talking about someone with that name I was sure it must be the same people I knew.

It really is a small world.

No comments: