Friday, October 17, 2008

Off Day

So normally on a Friday I would have something to blog about like going to the Knit & Chat or something. I often get a lot of knitting done there. And today was no exception. I was able to correct the messy parts of the ribbing I had done.

Maybe I am skipping ahead too much.

See, I needed DPNs in a couple of sizes for the thrummed mittens class.

Oh, still too far ahead.

Tuesday at Knitting Guild I was talking to Lyz about the thrummed mittens class she's taking at Shall We Knit? tomorrow and since I had wanted to take that class I signed up for it too. (That was Wednesday.) But when I went to look at my DPNs I realized that I had a big gap in my thrift store collection. The sizes I needed for the class were missing. Well, technically, I had three DPNs in the 3.25 mm size, but you can't really do much with only three DPNs, can you? (Rhetorical question.)

So, when I went to Len's Mill to get my new DPNs it was great because they ended up being half price. But it was not so great because the woman at the checkout dropped some of my change on the floor by mistake and I had to tell her I couldn't pick it up. She was nice about it, but still. I hate this hip problem I have. (I didn't wear socks to Starbucks because I couldn't face the pain of the bending I would have to do to get them on.)

Oh yeah, Starbucks...

I made the mistake of having coffee (decaf), which I didn't really like. (I prefer chai latte, but I thought decaf coffee with milk might be a bit healthier. You know, less fat and caffeine.) And then the songs they were playing were making me depressed. Okay, so Doris Day might have been admired in her era but she makes decent songs boring by singing them too damn slow. (Though, when Billie Holliday does the same thing she makes the songs more interesting somehow. Maybe because I can hear the pain in her voice and I identify with pain right now.)

Um, getting back to knitting...


I was working on my mitten cuff for the thrumming class (we had homework) and Lynn had shown me how to fix the stupid mistakes I had made during my TV knitting last night when the needles kept falling out and I got twisted stitches and put purls where I needed knits, and so on. So I fixed them all. It's not beautiful, but I don't need it to be perfect. At least now it doesn't look all crappy like it did with the mixed up stitches.


Then I moved on to the Noro Beehive Hat I am knitting for my husband. But by that time the music in Starbucks was just an incessant drone of one emo song after another. I should tell you that in my car I listen to electronica and dance on XM radio. I need music to have a beat, and the way I'm feeling now I need the beat to be "up", if you know what I mean. I don't care about some guy who learned to use the washing machine so he could keep his sheets clean, or whatever. I should be so lucky to have laundry worth singing about!

So I voted with my ears and left.

But that makes it seem like there was nothing redeeming about the meeting. Everybody was so generous. It was me that was "off". Gail gave me a couple of nice little stitch markers, which turned out to be charms from the Dollar Store. They have little rings on them that are the perfect size for sock DPNs, though they probably wouldn't fit anything larger than a 3.5 mm needle.


Lyz brought me some fibre for thrumming. I must remember to give her something for it. I am so out-of-it these days that the niceties of social behaviour are eluding me. This is what happens when I am in pain. And I already mentioned Lynn teaching me how to fix my mistakes.

Everyone is always so generous...but it was very much an off day for me.

No comments: