Saturday, March 22, 2008

I'm Dyeing Over Here

Here is something I knit up very quickly with a bit of the green yarn I hand-dyed using lemon-lime Kool-Aid:

Kool-Aid Dyed Coffee Cozy

I'm currently working on some more hand-dyeing. My son loves the Kool-Aid dyeing, and we found some blue so he has done a skein of neutral Armytage in a light blue that is sitting drying right now and smelling like lemonade.

Kool-Aid Dyed Armytage

Myself, I tried some dyeing with food colouring on a dark neutral Patons Classic, which is kind of brownish. I like the idea of what it does to the colours, but in practice sometimes "earthy" is not what you think it will be.

A Hank of Hand-Dyed Wool

So I'm working on a colourway I have dubbed "That 70s Couch", mostly based on the weird gold colour that came from using almost a whole large bottle of yellow food colouring. I don't recommend doing that by the way. I ended up doing it out of frustration that no colour was showing up on the brown wool. (Of course I have since learned that the colour intensifies as the wool is "cooked" in the microwave.) Patience is a virtue, they tell me, but I can't always be as patient as I'd like...

Hand-dyed Variegated Wool

Anyway, this was the final result of that effort. Looks like something out of grandma's basement, right?

No comments: