Monday, October 17, 2011

One Pattern, Two Shawls

I have two projects on the go right now. They are the same shawl pattern, Tortuga, knit in two different kinds of yarn for two completely different looks.

Of course the Noro shawl is progressing madly, but I am at the stage of very carefully manipulating colours to get wide enough stripes, and that is definitely not a quick or portable process.

The Noro Shawl, October 2011

The other shawl, more dressy, made from fingering weight acrylic yarn, very soft with a little shine to it -- and sequins! -- is a still quite portable. I can't get over the fact that, even though it's very soft and a has a lovely hand, the yarn still "squeaks" when I knit with it. (Knitters will know what I mean.) It's an acrylic thing.

Shiny Shawl

I'm not sure I like the Tortuga pattern as written. I have made changes, anyway. The designer chooses to divide the yarnovers (increases) between the right-side (knit) and wrong-side (purl) rows. This did not work for me. I preferred to do the standard four increases on the right-side row, and no increases on the wrong-side row. (I kept losing the yarnovers when I tried doing them on the purl row.) Once I made that change, the project proceeded quickly with no lost stitches.

Also, for any shawl with a “YO, k, YO” centre, I prefer to use two stitch markers, one on either side of the centre stitch, since I can keep better track that way. For this particular shawl with a three-stitch garter edge, I need to separate the edge with a stitch marker (which also reminds me where to do the yarnover on a right-side row).

Kauni Rainbow

The next shawl I try (probably with my Kauni yarn) will be the less succinctly named no fuss shade loving shawl. It's a similar design, but sets off the eyelet row a little differently.

2 comments:

Ginnie Hart said...

And now she's knitting with sequins??!!!!! You go, Girl! :)

Amy Darsie said...

I love the look of Noro as a shawl, and I can't wait to see yours when you finish.

Acrylic? You're a better woman than me. I don't think that I could do it. :-)