Friday, December 10, 2010

In Defense of the Indefensible

Knitters get it. The stash. The knitting drawer.

But not everyone who is uninitiated in the knitterly arts would necessarily sympathize with the bags and boxes and baskets of yarn and unfinished projects that knitters keep around in order to ward off the next cataclysm.

Most of the Stash

Yarn will get you through a lack of money better than money will get you through a lack of yarn the saying goes. Or something like that.

The knitting drawer, or whatever each individual knitter calls the place they relegate their unfinished projects for a "timeout" that can last anywhere from several days to several years, also seems like a hard concept to defend, more especially to those who do not knit.

The Knitting Drawer

But I am here today to defend the indefensible. Both my knitting drawer and my stash have helped me through the last couple of days when I was overcome, once again, by the dreaded startitis. By judicious use of the knitting drawer, it is quite possible to transform startitis into "finish-itis" (why the hyphen, you may ask; well, it's because without it my eyes hone in on only four letters).

Indefensible Corner

Anyway, being afflicted with startitis at last drove me to the knitting drawer in search of a likely project to keep me occupied for only a short time -- a mere diversion -- so that I could get right back to the current projects that need my attention.

And that is where I found my "Twisted Shawl". And realized it needed a little sump'n sump'n to take it up a notch. So I decided to knit a ruffle. In a contrasting colour.

Yarn Match Close Up

And here is the part in the story where the STASH comes to the rescue.

Because I did not have to go out shopping for new yarn. I shopped my stash. And came up with some Noro Maiko in the perfect colourway.

Small Shawl

And that is how I defend the indefensible. A collection of unfinished projects provides a cache of diversion, and a stash of yarn allows me to embellish existing projects without giving me yet another excuse for a trip to the LYS.

And the resulting savings in time and money are eminently defensible, don't you think?

4 comments:

Amy Darsie said...

That shawl is so cool! I really like the purple ruffle.

My stash has, sadly, dwindled as of late. I have less than 15 skeins of sock yarn, nothing compared to what I used to have. I think I'm just getting better about picking a solid project before buying yarn. But we'll see how the New Year goes.

Ginnie Hart said...

You couldn't have made a better case for yourself if you had tried, Karen. :)

Philosophical Karen said...

Amy, thanks! Unfortunately, Noro Maiko comes in 40g skeins instead of the usual 50g. I ended up buying another skein just to knit 3 rows. Bah!

Ginnie, I will take it as the compliment you meant, even though my first reaction was, "But I did try!" ;-)

Anonymous said...

I actually laughed out loud at the explanation for adding a hyphen to finish-itis. Owen wants to know why which I tell you as proof of actually laughing out loud. Which I did.

I've been trying to hard to stick to my stash for new and on-going projects, but I have relapsed and even had a friend pick up some stuff I was looking for that was in stock in her local store.