
I've also been trying to design a new cowl, a vertical version of the bumpy cowl. It's not working out too well. I think I will abandon my efforts and make another bumpy cowl out of the yarns I've been using to try to make the vertical version.
My first attempt was to knit it in the round, using stranded knitting. Unfortunately, it's bulky yarn, I didn't have the right size needle, and I cast on too few stitches. I like the look on the outside, but it just wasn't working out.


Edited to add (because I seem to have forgotten it before posting, but I always intended to include it):
My second attempt was to knit it flat, and make some sort of button-up cowl. But really, that is not working out either.

And now back to the original post.
It feels like I'm between projects, and that gives me startitis. Knitters know exactly what I mean when I say "startitis", but for the non-knitters, that's when you start a whole bunch of new projects, one after the other, leaving a little trail of works-in-progress behind you. (Well, I leave a trail. Maybe other knitters are more stealthy.)
I started a scarf for the Red Scarf project.

I started a hat for a child out of Zara yarn, which I like knitting with. I can't believe I can like both Zara, which is a highly processed Italian merino wool, and Noro, which is minimally processed, scratchy and full of bits of grass. But yet, I do. The only problem is, the lovely Zara yarn shows every little flaw in your knitting.

So, about halfway into the first round, I messed up the K1 P1 sequence, and ended up with two purl stitches side by side. But I got back into a rhythm with the ribbing, and the part that works looks great. I just can't ignore the messy part, where I didn't decide to make one stitch in between until about the sixth round. I kept knitting because I thought I might be able to fix it after the fact with some kind of duplicate stitch or something. But I am rethinking that (bad) idea. This project is not worth keeping on the needles.
And now, because the Fiesta Boomerang yarn I got in my last swap package was calling to me, I started a new Lacy Baktus with that yarn. This is the project that currently has the most chance of succeeding.

But you never know with me. Something else is sure to come along soon.
3 comments:
So many projects, so little time! I love the colors of the last project, so I'd stick with that one, too. :) You're so talented, Karen!
I know how you feel! I have to work very hard not to have more than four projects going on at once. Right now, I have one and a half charts left to go on the 'Bitterroot' shawlette, and then I just started a new pair of socks. The bag I had knitted is all done, but I just need to hand-sew the lining in.
I really like the look of the new cowl you are designing!
I think I am going to try the stranded knitting in the round again, only cast on way more stitches this time and use a size 15 needle.
Post a Comment