Saturday, May 15, 2010

As You Like It

And this our life exempt from public haunt,
Finds tongues in trees, books in the running brooks,
Sermons in stones, and good in every thing.
I would not change it.


We were in Stratford today to see a pre-season showing of As You Like It and I took the opportunity to visit the yarn store on Wellington Street, Close Knit Quality Yarns.

It was small, even for a yarn store (and I've been in some small yarn stores), but tidy and well arranged, with unique handmade and local product offerings such as buttons and pottery yarn bowls. The yarn selection was eclectic; my impression was that it consisted mostly of solids, ranging from rustic stuff to soft baby yarns -- although there was some variegated to choose from, especially among the small selection of sock yarn and Handmaiden yarn available.

As far as service goes, I was at a disadvantage during my visit because I only had a limited amount of time and shortly after I entered the shop, two other women who were obviously friends of the woman running the place came in. Their conversation filled the small space and actually made me a bit uncomfortable, especially when the women started talking in detail about intimate health problems. I'm not sure how typical this experience would be for the average customer.

When the friends finally left, I picked up a couple of skeins of Noro Maiko (the only Noro in the store; it comes in solid colours, which may have something to do with it), and a cute scarf pattern. There was a wonderful display model of the scarf, which was knit with one skein of O-wool in a beautiful paprika colour. I was so tempted to buy a skein of the wool in the same colour, but I resisted because I didn't want to be one of those knitters. The handknits on display in the store were priced for sale, something I haven't seen a lot of in other yarn stores. Other than the scarf, most of the products were small knitted hats and Baby Surprise Jackets.

By the way, the play was great and I can highly recommend it. We were lucky enough to have an introduction by Des McAnuff himself, who walked out onstage and talked to the audience for five minutes before the show. The production values were very high, with an amazing set based on the artwork of Belgian Surrealist Rene Magritte. Such works as The False Mirror, The Son of Man, and to a lesser extent The Great War, played roles in the visualization of the production.

It is a great play, made wonderfully accessible in this production, despite the surrealist elements. If you get the chance, you should go and see it. And you could even stop by the yarn store while you are in Stratford.

1 comment:

Amy Darsie said...

I remember when I worked at a knife store right after high school. One of my co-workers used to talk very loudly with his buddies when they came in to visit. And they talked loud about their sex lives. Some people just don't think.

I'm glad the play was great; I'm more a fan of his tragedies. Still - live theater is the best!