Monday, April 26, 2010

More Panels

I did a lot of knitting last week. Too much knitting. By the time Friday rolled around, I could no longer do much with my left hand, so I skipped the Friday knit & chats.

Three New Bridge Panels

Blame my knitting binge on my enthusiasm for colour. I discovered a wonderful series of combinations: Wendy Fusion with Petit Poucet Colorado (more acrylic than wool, and the Colorado might even fall into the dreaded "novelty" category, but there's no denying that the result is pleasing); Needful Yarns Joy with Petit Poucet Colorado; and Wendy Fusion with Patons Classic Wool.

Most of these combinations are in aid of making a thick yarn that will knit up fast, but I admit to being fascinated by the effects of combining a self-striping yarn with a shiny novelty yarn, or of toning down the lifesaver green/orange/yellow of Wendy Fusion's Saffron colourway with Paton's Classic in "Old Gold", a lovely rich gold colour that seems to be discontinued (at least I can't find on the official colour card).

Wendy Fusion "Allspice" Held With Petit Poucet Colorado 04 (Pink)

Blue/Pink/Tan Panel

Needful Yarns Joy 302 (Blue/Green) Held With Petit Poucet Colorado 12 (Black Rainbow)


Blue/Green Panel

Wendy Fusion 'Saffron' Held With Patons Classic "Old Gold"

Red/Yellow/Green Panel

Unfortunately, 50 grams of Needful Yarns Joy has very short yardage, so to get the panel to a suitable length, once I ran out I substituted some Wendy Fusion "Allspice", whose blue colour is very similar to the blue in the Joy. Likewise, there is a touch of "Allspice" added to stretch out the "Saffron" and make the panel the same size as the others.

Oh, and when I describe the colours of Petit Poucet Colorado 12 as "Black Rainbow", this is what I am referring to.

Petit Poucet Colorado

I suppose it's also worth mentioning that the combination of Fusion and Colorado (the combo with the highest acrylic content) has the most beautiful drape. I guess it makes sense, though, since those are the lightest yarns (as evidenced by the amount of yardage per gram compared with the wool yarns).

Someone has suggested that it's a shame to donate these panels to the bridge, since they turned out so nice, but I'm okay with giving them away. It will be fun to see them out there when the time comes. And afterwards they will be professionally cleaned, sewn into blankets, and sold or donated for charity.

1 comment:

Olivia said...

I love the colour combinations and it seems quite similar to the combining I love to do for felting. Can only have a low percentage of acrylic, but otherwise I am looking for the same thing - quick knitting and interesting variations in colour.