Friday, April 9, 2010

Bridge Knitting

Aimless knitting seems to be what I need right now, and knitting panels for the bridge project seems to fulfil that need. There are no patterns to mess up. No trying to impress anyone with my knitting prowess or progress. No "knitting along", comparing my work to what other people are doing.

Bridge Panel #3 Detail

Simple knitting is happy knitting, and I'm usually happiest just doing my own thing.

The panel above is a stashbuster, lots of stockinette using yarns of different weights and colours. Well, bulky and super-bulky anyway. The brown stuff is Wal-Mart yarn, a dollar a ball when they were selling it off. The blue and gold, thick-and-thin is a ball of expensive novelty yarn from Italy. Sigh. What else am I going to do with it, though? The variegated is some Fleece Artist Big Merino, left over from another project. (I think I might have hit the sweet spot for an argyle pattern, but it remains to be seen how that will play out.)

Bridge Panel #2

My previous panel (shown in the photo above) was pretty much a variation on my first panel. This time I just held the yarns double, instead of having the yarn custom-plied for me. It's a rougher result, not quite as pleasing, at least to my eyes. I did some ribbing at both ends, and alternating bands of garter and stockinette in between.

The title of this post reminds me of the number of times I have been told by people that my Ravelry moniker, Bridgeknit, seems to be tailor-made for this project. But just for the record, I came up with that name as a "knitty" pun on my middle name. I never imagined at the time that such a project would ever come up.

Strange how things turn out. Things that you never foresee happening all of a sudden are there for you to deal with, both pleasant and unpleasant. But that's life. As the late Gilda Radner put it:

Life is about not knowing, having to change, taking the moment and making the best of it, without knowing what's going to happen next.

No comments: