Saturday, November 21, 2009

I Feel the Need, the Need for Noro

I did nearly no knitting this week. Just picked it up again on Friday for Starbucks and SWK, my Friday knit & chats.

The sushi scarf was a big disappointment, by the way. I have made many attempts at it, but none have been satisfactory:

  • First the salmon colour was wrong. It was too girly and it clashed with the gold that was supposed to come next.

  • After choosing a different colour ('Currant' instead of 'Salmon Heather'), I then cast on too many stitches on too small needles, and ended up creating knitted fabric with the consistency of a sheet of cardboard.

  • My next attempt was on bigger needles, with a smaller number of stitches cast on (resulting in fabric that would actually bend this time), but by now I have become disgruntled with the look of the doubled yarn.

I had originally decided to hold the yarn double after I realized how long it would take me to knit a six foot long scarf in 1x1 rib using worsted weight yarn.

So now I'm thinking of a different stitch pattern, although it's kind of unlikely I will continue with this project -- unless I decide to teach myself to crochet. (I do have a little booklet that I bought a while ago with that intention. I used to be fairly proficient at crocheting granny squares when I was a kid, so I'm sure I could pick it up again.)

There are some really interesting stitch patterns in the reversible knitting book I just bought. I tried the stitch that most resembles crochet. It's not difficult to do, but by the time I got into it it seemed more like an academic exercise than anything. My answer to the question, "Can you knit in a way that looks like crochet?" is "Yes, but why on earth would I want to go through the effort?"

So now I've decided to switch gears again, and knit something I enjoy. (Yes, yes, I know. The story of my knitting life: try something interesting; fail miserably; slink back to the tried-and-true.)

I'm pretty sure I'm going to cast on another feather and fan scarf in Noro Kureyon.

Let the eponymous Karen colour manipulation begin.*

* Among my circle of friends, "doing a Karen" means cutting and splicing balls of Noro to control how the colours change within a project.

1 comment:

Lyz said...

You go Girl! Knit what makes you happy :)