Tuesday, May 13, 2008

What Do Knitting and The Pythagorean Theorem Have in Common?

The answer of course is "Woolly Thoughts", the creative team of Pat Ashforth and Steve Plummer.

On Sunday I went to the Woolly Thoughts workshop in New Hamburg with Lyz and Lynn, my good pals (and knitting repair saviours) from the Starbucks Friday Morning Knit & Chat. It was held in Meme's Cafe, which had an awesome choice of tea and coffee. Of course I stuck to the herbal teas since I am pretty much restricted in my caffeine intake right now.

I managed to snag a copy of the book (I was kind of sitting next to the pile) and get it autographed.

So anyway, now I can knit according to the Pythagorean theorem (or so I tell myself).


I think this style looks great the way that Pat Ashforth does it, in nice chunky variegated yarn, with everything joined so neatly. I'm not sure my Lett-Lopi was the best weight for this. Also, I've never actually picked up stitches before. (I taught myself really fast -- no time for my usual self-doubt and perfectionism.)

After the workshop we all went shopping at Shall We Knit. I'd never actually been there as a knitter before. The last time I was in the shop was the night of the Harry Potter Festival, when I was disappointed that I couldn't buy a Gryffindor scarf. Now of course I could knit my own if I wanted to.

I bought some lovely thick soft Debbie Bliss Pure Cotton, four balls in three colours. I've already knit the lilac ball up into a potholder, just using stocking stitch and holding the yarn doubled. (I made a centre-pull yarn ball and used both ends.)

When the potholders are all done, I will finish them according to the Easy Going Potholders pattern, which means getting some quilt batting and appropriate fabric. Well, I have some fabric I could use, but it would probably be better to get something with a smaller overall pattern.

This is my new knitting bag -- it's actually the bag my husband got at his conference in Hawaii -- stuffed with yarn, needles, and projects.


You can see two balls of the light green Debbie Bliss Cotton at the bottom right. I'm not sure why I have them in there, because I am unlikely to start the next potholder as a travelling project...

No comments: