
In fact, I've been dipping into my stash, making a purse with two colours of Maldon, dark brown and turquoise for a kind of Southwest look.

Most of my recent knitting purchases have been books, except for one. I went to Michaels (the craft store), armed with my 40% off coupon, hoping to get a great deal on a knitting book -- any knitting book, nothing special in mind -- but here's the thing: our local Michaels is not so much of a knitting store. There were three times as many crochet books as knitting books. And if you think that's maybe because more people were buying knitting books, there were also three times as many crochet patterns in stock as knitting patterns.
So anyway, I got myself a knitting accessory kit with my 40% off coupon. It was way overpriced (as Michaels items in Canada always are), but it was full of those little annoying accessories that you never have when you need them. And the clincher was it had a row counter.
I went to the local bookstore at the mall. Amazingly, we still have a local bookstore at the mall, owned by the same entrepreneur that I remember in a much different incarnation of the mall in my teenage years in the early nineteen-eighties. About a month ago there were several knitting books available, but there were only a few left the other day. They still had the one I wanted, Wendy Freeman's Knit & Stitch for Beginners. I want it more for the instructions on embellishing projects with stitching and accessories than for the actual projects in the book, which appeal very little to me.
Still later, as a family we went to Chapters, the big box bookstore, where my son picked up the entire vampire/werewolf series by Stephenie Meyer: Twilight, New Moon, and Eclipse, while I claimed a copy of Bag Style by Pam Allen and Ann Budd. My husband's choice was also on a vampire theme: two books by Christopher Moore.
I highly recommend Stephenie Meyer's books by the way. They are for young teens, but they are well-written and highly engaging for those of us who still remember being teenagers, too.
No comments:
Post a Comment