Saturday, February 23, 2008

New Knitting Books

Got three new knitting books yesterday. That doubles the number of knitting books I have in my Ravelry library. I now have the Stitch n' Bitch Knitter's Handbook.

Knit Happens

And I also bought a new book on felting, called Felt Forward, and I happened to see a book by Stephanie Pearl-McPhee (the Yarn Harlot) called Knitting Rules, and I had to get that, because she's just so darned entertaining.

Debbie Stoller is entertaining too, in her own way. She has a bit more of an edge to her. But it was in her book that I learned something very valuable, an amazing piece of information that I was not in possession of before, and hadn't even thought to ask.

Have you ever wondered what the "I" in I-cord stands for? Heh. Me neither.

But thanks to Debbie Stoller, now I know. It means "idiot" as in idiot cord, presumably because any idiot can knit it. (The technique, and the word, was coined by Elizabeth Zimmerman, the opinionated knitter.)

Knitting I-Cord

Now you know too.

The final book that I got, Felt Forward, looks like it has some great patterns in it, and I am dying to try a couple of them. However, I think the actual felting information in the book sucks. There is so much contradictory information out there about felting. So even though I am dying to try some of her patterns, I think I will avoid her felting advice and follow the methods that I know work for me.

Frogged Fancy Fur

Oh, I forgot to say that I frogged my fancy fur scarf so I can reuse the yarn for the cat bed I am making with the pattern in the S&B book. I plan to remove the strand of "colour kernels" and just use the fur. I will have to find (or buy) another yarn to double up with the fur, though.*

* Picked up a $1 ball of red no-name acrylic from the big bin in the yarn factory outlet. It is just a cat bed, after all, even if I am making the base out of the nice Lopi wool that she likes to sit on.

No comments: