Sunday, November 27, 2011

New FO: Kureyon Shawl in Autumn Colours

I should probably blog this finished object which I completed (except for blocking) about two weeks ago. It's a shawl made out of Noro Kureyon, using the Tortuga shawl pattern.


In this photo the shawl being modeled by the person I knit it for. She is a knitter herself and therefore appreciates the work and the quality of yarn that went into it, which is always a good thing, no?

I have learned that the secret to making a cozy shawl in worsted weight wool without breaking the bank is to use a larger needle size. I knit this one using a US size 10.5 (6.5 mm) needle. Avoiding garter stitch and including a few eyelet rows also helps to make a larger shawl with the same amount of wool. (Note that we are talking about shawls whose main purpose is to keep you warm, not fancy lace shawls that look very pretty with summer dresses.)

Anyway, I am about to cast on for my next one, which will be worsted weight, but not Kureyon this time. I will be mostly variegated, with a few solid stripes for variety. (So much for the Kauni shawl which was going to be my next one. Oh well, it's not wise to hold a knitter to her word when it comes to future projects.)

2 comments:

Amy Darsie said...

That is beautiful! I just love the look of the colors of that shawl.

Ginnie Hart said...

It's gorgeous, Karen. And you're a woman after my own heart, being frugal with what and how you knit. :)