Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Beware of Lookalikes

I decided I liked knitting with wool that felts, so I stopped today in Len's Mill Store for some Paton's Classic Wool Roving.


Bear in mind, there is a similar-looking product -- actually, to all extents and purposes, it is identical-looking -- by Bernat, called Bernat Roving.

Len's Mill Store shelves them right next to each other. They look pretty together, there on the shelf. I filled my basket with a few different colours, not paying attention to which yarn I was choosing.

Here's the thing though. Despite the similar appearance and name, Classic Wool Roving is, as you'd expect, 100% wool, and will felt nicely.

Bernat Roving is 80% Acrylic and 20% Wool. A fibre content that will not felt.

(Needless to say, I didn't buy any of that, once I finally figured it out.)

2 comments:

Ginnie Hart said...

Wow, Karen. I just Googled felt wool and got my education. I'm sure glad you caught the difference BEFORE and not afterwards!

heavenlyevil said...

I didn't know Patons had Roving. I'm going to have to go pick some of this up, I've got a couple of projects it would be perfect for.