Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Photos of the Covered Bridge

It took me a while to post these photos because of life events. It's very hard for me to overshadow my tribute post. Everything else seems trivial compared to losing such a special person; however, I did take many, many photos of the bridge on September 14, and they deserve to be seen, so here they are.


The Bridge

Post and Church

Melville Cafe

Bright Bridge

Factory Posts

Partial Span

Support Our Troops

In the photo immediately above, you can actually see where some vandalism took place. An entire afghan was torn from the bridge, damaging the attached pieces as well as leaving a gaping hole. (This was not the only afghan removed, either.) Volunteers repaired the injury by rearranging other pieces to fill the gaps. Shortly after that, the City organized night security around the bridge, so that no more pieces would be removed or destroyed.

The damage is more evident in this photo, especially on the burgundy panel at right:

Missing Pieces


Quirky Details

Barbie Dress

Barbie Dress

Monkey Face

Monkey Face

Love

Love

Smile

Abstract Face

Dress

Dress

Lace and Fuzz

Close Up Lace and Fuzz

Flowers

Flower Post


City Views

Lamp Post

Lovely Lamp Post

Into the Sun

Into the Sun

The Old Galt Post Office

The Old Post Office

River Reflection (with Stripes)

River Reflection with Stripes

Another River Reflection



Middle of the Road

Middle of the Road

Fish-Eye View with Banner

A Fish-Eye View with Banner


My Contribution

Many of my panels did not make it onto the bridge. Those are the ones I trusted to a third party to submit for me. I have no idea what happened there. They just got misplaced along the way, I guess. However, two panels I submitted myself on Worldwide Knit in Public Day did make it onto the bridge, and you can see them right here.

My Contribution

The blue and brown one actually had a "right side" and a "wrong side", and it's being displayed wrong side out. The other panel looks the same from either side. You can just about see the 'X' pattern of the variegated yarn I held throughout while adding other colours to make stripes.

3 comments:

Amy Darsie said...

That is just so cool! I love the concept of 'yarn bombing' and how you can be part of something amazing like that, with just one or two knitted squares.

We've discussed doing it here, and this is the perfect inspiration.

Ginnie Hart said...

I have never seen anything like this in my life, Karen. It reminds me of something the artist Christo might do if he were a knitter. :) I'm sure you were thrilled to be a part of this, even if wrong side out!

Myownigloo said...

This is amazing! Thanks!