Friday, January 1, 2010

Happy New Year and All That

So, the Torunn hat is almost finished. I've been told the actual yarn colours look nicer than the photograph (the colours are actually more muted and less intense than what you see in the photo), so I thought I would pass that along.

I am more than halfway through the decreases, and getting ladders where I knit two together. Not sure what to do about it. I might rip it out and reknit. Unfortunately, I have a lack of supply of US 4 circular needles (for magic loop, which would be better) right now.

TANGENT: It used to be size 3 I had that problem with, so I made a point of buying a couple in that size. I should have been buying US 4 as well. Longer than 16" I mean. (Yes, even though I am wholeheartedly metric in everything else, needle sizes are easiest for me to remember in US sizes. That's for the simple reason that the numbers change in whole increments, whereas the metric sizes often increment in half-millimeters or even quarter-millimeters, with no perceivable logic to it. Of course, once you get past US 10, it all goes to hell in a handbasket, but that's beside the point.) So anyway, bottom line is, I have plenty of US 3 circulars, not so many US 4.

END TANGENT

I am preparing to cast on the Fiddlehead mittens (pattern by Adrian Bizilia) that I got in a kit (put together by Tanis Fibre Arts) at the Knitters' Fair.

Earlier today I went to Starbucks for some knitting. It wasn't a huge turnout, mostly because of the day and also because of the weather. It decided to snow heavily (and quite prettily) and driving was a bit... of a problem. Luckily the roads were more or less empty, mostly because of the day and also because of the weather. Um, yeah.

I was trying to make progress on the hat -- I really wanted to finish it -- and then I noticed how bad the ladders were. Sigh. So I put the hat into timeout and pulled out my farrow rib scarf that I'm knitting with Mini Mochi held double with Koigu KPM. Then I discovered that I had knit a stitch I should have slipped, about 20 rows back. So I had to rip it. I still haven't made up all the rows yet.

I suppose pictures would help, but I've become a rather lazy blogger where photography is concerned. The problem is the lighting. I only like natural light, and in the winter natural light is only available from about 8:00 AM to maybe 4:00 PM, which is usually not when I'm blogging.

Now, it should be said that I do own a light box and I know I really should drag it out and start experimenting with it. However, let me reiterate the point I made in the first sentence of the previous paragraph. The one where it says, and I quote, "I've become a rather lazy blogger..."

Yeah, welcome to 2010. Happy New Year and all that sh...tuff.

No comments: