
It's not potholders, but I can't say what it is, or post pictures, on the off chance that the recipient will see it. My husband was definitely surprised when he saw what pattern I was using. I had to remind him that it's a gift for a friend, and not my way of telling him we are about to have an addition to the family.
***
It was an eventful day yesterday, in a bad way. We had the craziest storm pass through. I think it stopped right over our street for about twenty minutes while it threw down hailstones the size of frozen peas and raindrops the size of loonies. I checked a bucket that was sitting in the yard. I don't think it was empty when the storm started (man we've had a lot of rain lately!) but when the storm was over the water in the bucket was two inches deep. I'd bet an inch or more of it came from the storm.

Anyway, all that water in such a short time -- looking outside half an hour later you'd never know that a violent storm had just passed through -- overwhelmed our drainage capacity. I had to bail. Bailing was a Mickey Mouse operation. (Yeah, I was out there in my Mickey rain cape and my Mickey Crocs -- too bad I didn't have a Mickey bucket.)
The reason I had to bail is that one of our basement window wells fills up. We have big 'O' pipe at the bottom to carry the water away, except that one of them gets blocked easily. Our basement windows are not waterproof, so the water just comes streaming inside and pouring down the walls, collecting on the carpet. First I had to bail the window well, then I had to clean up the water inside.
Not pretty. Not fun.
***
What was fun was going out to dinner at Moxie's Grill at the Stone Road Mall in Guelph. The Boy is on a school trip for a couple of days so we have the evenings to ourselves. After dinner we popped over to Chapters in the mall and I got some books using their 'Buy 3 and Get the Fourth Book Free' promotion. My free book ended up being Stitch 'n Bitch Nation.

I got two other knitting books: The Yarn Lover's Guide to Hand Dyeing by Linda La Belle, and Knit One, Felt Too, by Kathleen Taylor. (I still consider Bev Galeskas to be the definitive authority on felting/fulling, but I love, love, love the colourful projects in Kathleen Taylor's book. Back a while ago I bought Felt Forward by Maggie Pace, but the projects in that book feel too fussy and formal.)
When I told my husband I wanted to buy a book on "dyeing" he looked at me funny. But actually, I've been dying to find the right book on dyeing, and it looks like I finally did.
2 comments:
last time I made a baby knit, my husband looked at me funny as well.
My sister-in-law just had a baby and I find the baby knits irresistible. I've got to get some modern knitting books, as all I have comes from my grandmother and I think most of those hats and sweaters are now officially classified as "strangulation hazards" because of their design. The Stitch n Bitch series looks interesting. I've gotta get myself to a bookstore!
Post a Comment