Friday, December 7, 2007

Let's Talk About Yarn

These are the yarns I like, I like, I like
These are the yarns I like


(to the tune of "These Are the Daves I Know" by Kids in the Hall)

--

My favourite yarns (so far):

Bernat Tweedsome
Bernat Boa
Lion Brand Incredible
Lion Brand Fancy Fur
Sean Sheep Napier
Sean Sheep Cassowary


I have two skeins of Bernat Bling Bling (which is not on the web site, so must be out of production now); two skeins of Lion Brand Micro Spun; and two skeins of Sean Sheep Beauty, but I haven't used any of them yet.

I also have two skeins of Moda Dea Fur Ever, which is very similar to Lion Brand's Fancy Fur.

I bought all of the above yarn in either Michaels (the one across the border in a suburb of Buffalo, NY where they had several types of fancy yarn for $1 a ball), or Wal-Mart Canada (my local store). Looks like Sean Sheep is not even available in the U.S. yet.


My not-so-favourite yarn:

Sean Sheep Botany Bay

So far, this is the only yarn I have tried that I don't like so much. It has a very rough texture (I prefer soft yarns) and it is a mixture of regular wool with a satiny ribbon interwoven through it, and then these attached "blobs" that stick out like fabric scraps or something. It's not a look that works for me.

I do have other yarn that I like, but it doesn't have a brand name since I bought it for .5 cents (yes, half-a-cent) an ounce at the funny little factory outlet store in my end of the city where I live.

[Aside, for those of you who like language trivia: You can tell a Canadian from an American by whether they divide a city into "sides" or "ends". A Canadian will say, "west end" and an American will say "west side". I guess the Canadian way comes from British English, thinking of the Pet Shop Boys' song "West End Girls".]

No comments: