Monday, November 12, 2007

Pot Pourri

Okay, so the coolest thing that happened to me today was I was standing in line at Wal*Mart (the freestanding sign by the store in my city says "Wal-Mart", but I know that on the actual stores the syllables are separated by a star, at least in the U.S. -- I think it's a maple leaf in Canada -- so I am using an asterisk here instead of a hyphen even though grammatically there is no precedent for that).

So anyway I was standing in line at the store -- that is not the cool part; I haven't got to that part yet -- and this lady says to me, she says to me in sort of a Romper Room kind of voice, the way you might talk to a three-year-old (but we'll ignore that, okay, because maybe she talks that way all the time, we don't know), she says to me:

"Did you knit that scarf yourself?"

And when I said yes she started asking me some technical details about the stitches and I just looked at her all blank like and said, "I don't know about that. It's the first thing I've ever knit by myself!"

***

Something not-so-cool happened before that today, and that is when I went to the lab for my tests the nurse at the desk took my blood (had to poke me twice -- she wasn't very good) and then when she went looking for the orange stuff they didn't have any. So I had to take my paperwork, get in my car and drive to another location of that lab where they did have some. But at least she phoned ahead so when I walked into the second location the nurse there looked at me and said, "Are you my lady?" Which I thought was kind of funny, except my answer was even funnier, which was, "I need the orange liquid."

When you take it out of context it could be something from some weird movie like The Matrix. (And if you imagine us being dressed in Elizabethan costume as well, then it really starts to play with your mind.)

***

So I didn't actually end up taking my knitting with me to the lab. That's because I started this project where I'm using three different types of yarn and I'm constantly snipping and switching and fidgeting about and so I didn't think it would be good to be doing that in a waiting room with lots of people. So I took a book to read instead and the book I read was Stephen Colbert's new one I Am America (And So Can You!). And it was a perfect book for me because it's sort of light reading, being satire, but it still makes you think in some cases -- like The Simpsons on television.

So you may be wondering what my latest project looks like. Since I've shown you the previous two I should probably also post a photo of this one.

The Latest One


Again, the camera captures colour differently than the eye. So the blue fuzzy stuff is actually more greenish, which matches better with the nubbly yarn. And the brown furry yarn is more similar in colour to the nubbly yarn, so it blends better than what is shown here. (Still, that doesn't miraculously make it any less like a technicolour yawn. I'm still not completely sure about it. What I want to do is get it finished so I can improve on it with the next one!)


Also, when it's finished, it's supposed to have a fringe with beads, so I hope that will help bring it all together.

No comments: