However, I have been making small amounts of progress on the felted bags, and started a new "carry-along" project with some Noro Silk Garden Lite. I am so happy Silk Garden Lite is back again with new colours. For a while there it was discontinued. Anyway, the scarf I am currently knitting is being made with colour 2038, a mixture of bright pinks and subtle yellows. (I know, yellow! But it works.) And as you can see I am using my new
[NOTE: I made a mistake here. They are not Addi needles. They are by Signature Needle Arts, which is completely different. I just heard them spoken of in the same breath and assumed the Signature needles were also an Addi product.]
Very expensive, but lovely to knit with. Highly recommended if you have the opportunity to treat yourself (or for someone else to treat you).

Here I have taken a photo of the process of lining the felted purse. As you can see, a double layer of plastic canvas is used to reinforce the bottom, and a sort of cylinder of fabric is sewn for the lining.

Finally, I have felted the third bag, the one I made larger than the pattern.

I made some notes on this project as I was going along. Basically, stuff to learn from as I move forward.
NOTES:
- I didn’t compensate with enough length to balance the extra width, so the bag came out kind of squashed. If I were to do this again, I’d add another six inches in length while I was doing the knitting.
- This time I followed the pattern instructions and bound off and sewed a seam on the bottom of the bag. I highly recommend using Kitchener stitch instead (as I did on my second bag) since this seam turned out lumpy. I know that’s my poor sewing skills, but the sheer bulk of the bind off makes a smooth seam difficult to do.
- The colour green felts more (or more quickly) than other colours. So the green-and-black band in the middle of this purse pulls in tighter than the colours around it. I am stretching it in blocking, but being forewarned now means I can get creative in my colour placement in future so that it’s not an issue. (I’m not sure why it wasn’t an issue on previous purses.)
4 comments:
That scarf if beautiful! Love the colors.
Are those needles something new from Addi? I'm an Addi Addict!
Addi Signature are new. They are mostly special order from my LYS, although she has a few in stock. My pair is size 7 (4.5mm) with 5-inch "stiletto" tips. (You can also get 4-inch tips. I have some on order in size 8.)
Check out this web site for information, including retailers:
http://www.signatureneedlearts.com/
Major oops! They are not Addi. I must have heard some people in the yarn store talking about them in the same breath as Addi and so I just thought they were something new from the same company. But no. Signature Needle Arts is a different company.
I can certainly understand why knitting tapers off in the warmer months, Karen. But I do like how you are dedicated to your hobby. Actually, I should say hobbies...since you also are a photographer! A very good one, I must add. :)
Post a Comment