Saturday, September 26, 2009

Estimating the Airspeed Velocity of an Unladen Swallow

(Don't ask me where the title of this post came from. My brain makes strange connections sometimes.)

Went to SWK territory this morning to pick up a book for The Boy (Dan Brown's The Lost Symbol, pre-ordered and paid for), and of course I had to stop in the yarn shop and see what was up.

A new order of Noro!!! The Kureyon colours were very bright, and I was so, so tempted to buy some yarn while I was there. Especially since Karen is not putting the price of Kureyon up this year (it's supposed to go up by $1 a ball) and is instead selling it at last year's prices. Woohoo! But I was strong. I did not buy ANY yarn.

(I bought a book instead.)

I still had my 10% off card that I got at the Cat Bordhi presentation in May. The card was good for a one-time purchase and valid on books. I checked.

So now I can add this book to my knitting library.



There are a couple of patterns in here that I like very much. The rest are cropped cardigans for 6-9 year old girls. (Of which I have none on my "knit for" list.) Oh well.

Phidellia's, the new tea shop in town, was serving lunch for the first time, and since Mr. Wonderful and I were hungry for lasagne (the only hot meal of the two choices on the menu) and The Boy was hungry for Dutch Apple Pie (he had already had something at Tim Horton's on the way), we stopped in to eat there.

Last night we saw Macbeth with Colm Fiore at the Festival Theatre in Stratford. Boy was I glad we got the cheap seats. Well, okay, I was glad we didn't spend money on better seats -- but the balcony is pretty uncomfortable. So that part wasn't fun.

We got there very early and decided to take a walk down by the Avon River to kill some time. What a novelty that was. Me, walking for the pleasure of it. Descending and climbing. Walking on hilly, slippery wet grass and not worrying about it. I think that was the best part of the whole night.

The play was okay, but the director decided to set it in Africa (which made for a pretty weird disconnect in the lines that talked about being in Scotland). Also, the scenes with the witches were totally butchered. I love the language of Shakespeare, and the witches' spell is very poetic. The actresses were not very good at Shakespearean language to start with, and the director choreographed the scene so that the lines were broken up by long pauses. It was horrible to listen to.

So the play last night was a bust.

But anyway.

Our other errand today was to go to an "audition" that The Boy had been called to. The notice led us to believe he needed a resume and photo, and the email giving the time of the audition sent us there an hour later than we were supposed to go. They were nice enough to stick around and let The Boy audition anyway. But still. The whole thing was a big waste of time. And of photography, since I decided to do the "head shot" myself.

Well, at least I got some nice photos of The Boy to post on Facebook. He's even wearing his Fedora in some of them.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

how do you know so much about swallows?
...michelle

Philosophical Karen said...

African, or European?

Anonymous said...

i....i don't know that!
...michelle

Philosophical Karen said...

Sproing!